IEM Recommendations for AK100
Jun 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have am stock AK100 that I am looking for IEM recommendations for please.....I currently have a pair of Tzar 350 and Aurisonics ASG1.2 but was wondering if there were any alternatives worth trying out which are potentially more all rounders (Shure are out as I don't like them).

My musical tastes are varied and include a lot of female vocals (such as Ani DiFranco, Allison Krauss, Eva Cassidy, Tori Amos), lots off rock (Pink Floyd, Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park, Led Zeppelin, The Doors), Newer Bands (such as The National, Mumford & Sons etc) and older stuff (Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel).......As I said extremely varied and pretty much covers every Genre.

I don't like IEMs that are to dark or to bright......so probably verge on neutralish but with good mid range for vocals etc.

Don't want to break the bank and ideally looking for something compatable with the AK100 on its own (not amplified).......I have amplifiers but thinking more minimalist.

Cheers

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Earsonic SM64 are what I settled on. I had originally purchased Westone 4R but they sounded empty and lacked bass for me.
The SM64 on the other hand have bass, presence and crystal clear highs.

Great combination with the unmodded AK100 I have.

Just got the AK120 and had hoped the Westone 4R would sound better with the reduced impedance. Nope, still sound undistinguished next to the SM64.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
You've got it backwards; figure out what characteristics you like in an IEM and don't worry about your source. 

I'm sure that works fine if you are starting from scratch and you can buy the IEMs first and then decide on sources that fit the IEM's. 

However I already have my sources sorted, including the AK100 (which I dont intend to sell) and therefore looking for an IEM that goes with this. I already have the Tzar 350 which goes with the AK100 extremely well, however does not really do some genres very well and is extremely analytical to my ears, whatever source I use (whether it be the AK100, Modded iPod or iPhone 4S). The Aurisonics ASG 1.2 are probably better than the Tzar 350, less analytical and mesh well unamped with the AK100 as well as straight out of my iPhone 4S for running / at the gym. 

I'm happy to stick with the ASG 1.2 / Tzar 350 but was just wondering what other options were available. Just like to keep my options open and consider all avenues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back