IEM recommendations around $1k?
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chancey

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some recommendations on IEMs - especially with a bunch of black friday deals around right now.

For some background the last few years I've been very happy with my Audeze LCD-XC powered by a Bifrost Multibit/Lyr 2 stack. I've owned many in-ears, mostly below the $200 mark. At the moment I'm using the Sennheiser ie80 which I don't like. They sound really dark and muddled. I can't hear any difference "tuning" the bass.

1. Must have: Sound:
- Bass: Not boomy, but has to have really good extension and impact. Not light on bass either.
- Mids: I don't like forward midrange (to me it sounds like yelling through a toilet paper roll) so a more relaxed/recessed midrange.
- Highs: I don't like bright or dark earphones, so just neutral here would be great.

I listen to mostly trance, drum&bass and soundtracks. But I also like to listen to rock and single vocalists/piano sometimes. I like my music to be exciting and engaging, so I'm not looking for the most analytical flat sound possible. However, I also don't want it so coloured that it doesn't feel natural (like someone has been playing with the EQ).

2. Must have: Isolation:

These will be travel earphones (subway, plane, etc). For as long as I can remember I've been using (and very happy with) comply tips across at least the last half dozen earphones. So it must be compatible with either comply or replacable foam tips (I can't deal with the silicon ones, yes, I've tried every style and size).

3. Nice to have: Budget:

$1k USD seems like a reasonable amount that I can get a decent set of earphones that I plan to keep for a while. This is not a hard limit, but it would have to be special to go over that that.

4. Nice to have: I prefer the hanging cable (rather than the wrap around the ear) just because I find the cord around the ear never tends to sit in place and just gets tangled with my glasses frame.

5. Nice to have: Detachable cable. Not becuase I want to connect aftermarket cables, but if the cable frays from being in my pocket I might need to replace it. A stong durable cable is also a plus here.

Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back