IEM recommendations, $150 to $250
May 6, 2021 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zeppmeister

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good value IEM and welcome your recommendations. If I could get my hands on an IMR R2 Red, I wouldn't need any feedback.

If I can spend $175 on something that "sounds like $250" that's fine with me. Probably normal. :) I have the KZ ZS10 Pro, which are "great for the price." Now I want something that is still great for the price but a step up in quality and performance for times when I'm away from my home equipment.

Criteria:
  • A little more fun/forward than laid back
  • Skew to the bass end a bit...but just a bit
  • Good detail and clarity; perform well with high resolution sources
Classic rock and progressive are probably 70% of my library, with a lot of live recordings, but there's also diversity like Tame Impala, Goldfrapp, ambient, blues, and classical at times...

Sorting through options (without a chance to hear them) is the hard part. And, if there was something really special at $300...maybe I'd make that investment.

Current shortlist (no order):
  • Fiio FH5
  • Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon
  • iBasso IT01s
  • Final A4000
  • CTM CE320
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 23
May 6, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm looking for a good value IEM and welcome your recommendations. If I could get my hands on an IMR R2 Red, I wouldn't need any feedback.

If I can spend $175 on something that "sounds like $250" that's fine with me. Probably normal. :) I have the KZ ZS10 Pro, which are "great for the price." Now I want something that is still great for the price but a step up in quality and performance for times when I'm away from my home equipment.

Criteria:
  • A little more fun/forward than laid back
  • Skew to the bass end a bit...but just a bit
  • Good detail and clarity; perform well with high resolution sources
Classic rock and progressive are probably 70% of my library, with a lot of live recordings, but there's also diversity like Tame Impala, Goldfrapp, ambient, blues, and classical at times...

Sorting through options (without a chance to hear them) is the hard part. And, if there was something really special at $300...maybe I'd make that investment.

Current shortlist (no order):
  • Fiio FA5
  • Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon
  • iBasso IT01s
  • Aiderlot M5
  • IKKO OH10
  • Final A4000
  • CTM CE320
Thanks in advance.

U can check out the TRI Starsea. It has 4 tuning signatures to be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish, so quite versatile. Good fit, good isolation, very good technicalities. It is less bassy than the KZ ZS10 pro on the basshead switch, but it has a tighter bass that has better quality. I do think it is an upgrade over the KZ ZS10 Pro in almost all areas.

If u can top up a bit more, u can read about the LZ A7. This one has 10 tuning switches, so even more versatile than the TRI Starsea. It has better technicalities and better timbral accuracy than the TRI Starsea.

May 6, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 23
Seconding the LZ A7 recommendation.

May 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 23
U can check out the TRI Starsea. It has 4 tuning signatures to be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish, so quite versatile. Good fit, good isolation, very good technicalities. It is less bassy than the KZ ZS10 pro on the basshead switch, but it has a tighter bass that has better quality. I do think it is an upgrade over the KZ ZS10 Pro in almost all areas.

If u can top up a bit more, u can read about the LZ A7. This one has 10 tuning switches, so even more versatile than the TRI Starsea. It has better technicalities and better timbral accuracy than the TRI Starsea.
I agree with these :point_up_2: recommendations, especially given their versatility. The Mangird Tea is another one to consider. I do recommend that you go ahead and just buy the KZ DQ6 though. For such a low price, they are incredibly impressive, including for all rock and metal genres.

May 10, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 23
I agree with these :point_up_2: recommendations, especially given their versatility. The Mangird Tea is another one to consider. I do recommend that you go ahead and just buy the KZ DQ6 though. For such a low price, they are incredibly impressive, including for all rock and metal genres.
Second to KZ DQ6 for classical rock and progressive, you get small live house equipped with JBL speaker and Marshall amps to your ear by DQ6, a very unique experience even something costs several grants can not reproduce.

May 10, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 23
Second to KZ DQ6 for classical rock and progressive, you get small live house equipped with JBL speaker and Marshall amps to your ear by DQ6, a very unique experience even something costs several grants can not reproduce.

So a $30 KZ may be the solution I need? Didn't see that coming.

May 10, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 23
So a $30 KZ may be the solution I need? Didn't see that coming.
It just might be. Just for reference, look at my and AmericanSpirit‘s signatures, and we still like to listen to the DQ6 (I bought 2 of them). I do, however, recommend better ear tips, and perhaps a better, yet very affordable cable.

May 10, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 23
It just might be. Just for reference, look at my and AmericanSpirit‘s signatures, and we still like to listen to the DQ6 (I bought 2 of them). I do, however, recommend better ear tips, and perhaps a better, yet very affordable cable.

I already have a pretty nice 2.5 balanced cable for my ZS10 Pro, and a good selection of tips to experiment with.

I guess at this price, it's not a big deal if they aren't the answer. If they aren't, a backup pair to keep in the desk at work or something....

May 10, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 23
Yup, it’s not the price or technicalities, it’s the feelings of DQ6 for some type of music👍

May 10, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 23
Yup, it’s not the price or technicalities, it’s the feelings of DQ6 for some type of music👍

Got a pair from Amazon on the way. Will try them Thursday.

What's your opinion on the JVC/Drop FDX1? Keep coming back to those...my curiosity about them is really what sparked this whole idea about more/new gear. Thanks.

May 11, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 23
Got a pair from Amazon on the way. Will try them Thursday.

What's your opinion on the JVC/Drop FDX1? Keep coming back to those...my curiosity about them is really what sparked this whole idea about more/new gear. Thanks.
The modded JVC FD02 was my reference for about 1,5 years, and I've also had a pair of FDX1 (which was defect, the replacement pair is still with a friend in the US)
So I know these quite well, but have since moved up in the price range and finally found better.

Smooth, clean, and clear IEMs for the money, and I don't know anything better at the $200 price point.
Going to (much) more expensive IEMs shows the technical limitations of the FD02/FD01/FDX1.
I still think they are a very good choice for engaging music listening with medium level sources up to a Chord Mojo.
Not the ultimate in detail, imaging or separation, but simply very enjoyable.

However, for $320 you can get the UM 3DT which shares a lot with the JVC family, is a pain to get a good fit, but once you found the right tips, cable and source, they are a clear and siginficant upgrade over the JVC DDs. Better imaging, stage, detail, timbre, clarity and separation with a similar tuning (i.e. they need a simple mod to tame the upper mids). I have been hyping the FDxx family for a long time but for a little more the 3DT offer better value IMO.

May 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 23
It‘s is a very natural sounding IEM, with a single DD, yet with quite impressive technicalities. I also used them as a reference for a while. Personally, I really respect it, but never truly loved the sound. Even after figuring out effective mods, the peak at 4KHz remained somewhat ”shouty” to me, though others are not that sensitive to a peak at that frequency. The bass is clean, and is elevated above neutral, but is not enough for me, especially to counteract the upper midrange peak. To me, it sounds neutral overall. I would say it excels with classical, jazz, vocals, acoustic music. It is too intense for me with a lot of rock and metal genres. As good as it it, I think there are better options out now.

I personally much prefer the NF Audio NM2+ (also has an intense upper midrange, but the peaks don’t bother me at all), and the KBEAR Believe (discontinued :slight_frown:). If really wanting a good single DD IEM in the $200 +/- range, I’d look into the NF Audio NM2+ or NA2+, the Tanchjim Oxygen, or even the Tanchjim Hana (just exchange the filter with the Oxygen’s filter, which you can now buy separately).

Better yet, save up for the $300+/- range, and you will have several incredible options available to you, including the outstanding UM 3DT which has easily been one of my favorite IEMs that I’ve heard. The 3DT has similarities to the DQ6 (both have 3 DDs), If you really like the DQ6, then the 3DT is the direct upgrade. However, if you end up finding the DQ6 to be perfectly adequate as your only IEM, I wouldn’t really be suprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back