IEM Recommendations $100 or less?
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm thinking of buying a new earbud/IEM for use primarily at the gym. I use over ears at home and work (HD6XX and B&O H6 respectively, love both). Currently I have the Beyerdynamic Byron Wired earbud that I use at the gym and they are quite good and I like the sound. However, I find that the cable gets tangled pretty easily towards the bottom, and I think due to a lot of tugging on the cable they might be starting to fizzle out. Sometimes the left channel will cut out, and the other day I was wearing them with my phone in my pocket and they kept popping and shocking my ears with static (I'm not sure if this was just from being in my shorts and creating static though).

Anyway, since I only use them for the gym and going places where I won't be carrying my larger headphones, I'm not looking to spend too much. I typically care about sound quality but not as much when it comes to earbuds that I'm only using for the gym. I'd just like one with a better cable, and sounds good enough and is comfortable. I was considering wireless buds but there aren't many options out there. The Tin Audio T2 seems like it would be a good choice at only $50 and the cable looks nice and springy and is detachable, but I hear it is bass lacking (I do like a little bit of a bass tilt especially when working out because I tend to turn the volume up more). iBasso IT01 is another good option I hear, a couple Shure options. Would any of these work for me? Are there other options? May end up sticking with the Byron if the static/popping issue I experienced is non-existent.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 12
I own KZ AS10, it sounds pretty good but sub-bass is almost nonexistent. I'm looking for an IEM under $100 too, with extender sub-bass, and detachable 2-pin connector so I can use cables from my KZ (including bluetooth one). After reading many reviews I'm going to buy TFZ Exclusive 5. Is it a good choice for a basshead ? :D

PS. Will 0.75 2-pin male cable work well with 0.78 2-pin connector used in TFZ iems?

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi! I'm thinking of buying a new earbud/IEM for use primarily at the gym. I use over ears at home and work (HD6XX and B&O H6 respectively, love both). Currently I have the Beyerdynamic Byron Wired earbud that I use at the gym and they are quite good and I like the sound. However, I find that the cable gets tangled pretty easily towards the bottom, and I think due to a lot of tugging on the cable they might be starting to fizzle out. Sometimes the left channel will cut out, and the other day I was wearing them with my phone in my pocket and they kept popping and shocking my ears with static (I'm not sure if this was just from being in my shorts and creating static though).

Anyway, since I only use them for the gym and going places where I won't be carrying my larger headphones, I'm not looking to spend too much. I typically care about sound quality but not as much when it comes to earbuds that I'm only using for the gym. I'd just like one with a better cable, and sounds good enough and is comfortable. I was considering wireless buds but there aren't many options out there. The Tin Audio T2 seems like it would be a good choice at only $50 and the cable looks nice and springy and is detachable, but I hear it is bass lacking (I do like a little bit of a bass tilt especially when working out because I tend to turn the volume up more). iBasso IT01 is another good option I hear, a couple Shure options. Would any of these work for me? Are there other options? May end up sticking with the Byron if the static/popping issue I experienced is non-existent.

If you want something at the gum, I would actually recommend you look into an IEM that is not that popular these days, but still worth to bring to the table: the Soundmagic E10. It costs like 30 bucks brand new, and it sounds amazing at the asking price. I actually doubt IT01 would best it, because I think they are on par in sound quality.
Another to consider is the Vsonic GR07, any version, the classic, the mkii, the bass edition, or the new X version, the GR07 is really worth to be considered. One drawback is that it's cable is not detachable for the asking price and it's build quality is not that great, but this doesn't make it unworthy to buy if you want a good-sounding earphone.
---
Forgot to mention Massdrop Nuforce EDC and Pinnacle PX, they are easy recommendations for your use. The EDC has good sub-bass extension and texture and is very balanced (slight V-shape FR that is hard to hate). The Pinnacle PX is not bass heavy at all but it's bass is well layered and textured, and the mids are really good, which bring them to an entry-hifi level IEM. They sort of sound similar to the Vsonic GR07 classic, but they have a MMCX detachable cable with mic, making them more versatile. Both are good for you.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 12
If you want something at the gum, I would actually recommend you look into an IEM that is not that popular these days, but still worth to bring to the table: the Soundmagic E10. It costs like 30 bucks brand new, and it sounds amazing at the asking price. I actually doubt IT01 would best it, because I think they are on par in sound quality.
Another to consider is the Vsonic GR07, any version, the classic, the mkii, the bass edition, or the new X version, the GR07 is really worth to be considered. One drawback is that it's cable is not detachable for the asking price and it's build quality is not that great, but this doesn't make it unworthy to buy if you want a good-sounding earphone.
---
Forgot to mention Massdrop Nuforce EDC and Pinnacle PX, they are easy recommendations for your use. The EDC has good sub-bass extension and texture and is very balanced (slight V-shape FR that is hard to hate). The Pinnacle PX is not bass heavy at all but it's bass is well layered and textured, and the mids are really good, which bring them to an entry-hifi level IEM. They sort of sound similar to the Vsonic GR07 classic, but they have a MMCX detachable cable with mic, making them more versatile. Both are good for you.
I own the E10C and agree that it is a tremendous value at the asking price. Really good sound quality. Solid bass. I also own the IT01 and I must say, to my ears, it is in a different league sound quality-wise. It's more detailed and has superior separation and openness. Better bass as well. None of this should come a a surprise, though, as the IT01 is roughly 3X as expensive as the E10. One more to consider at the $50 price-point is the ZS10. I think it is slightly better than the E10. Worth a look as well. Lots of options.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 12
I own the E10C and agree that it is a tremendous value at the asking price. Really good sound quality. Solid bass. I also own the IT01 and I must say, to my ears, it is in a different league sound quality-wise. It's more detailed and has superior separation and openness. Better bass as well. None of this should come a a surprise, though, as the IT01 is roughly 3X as expensive as the E10. One more to consider at the $50 price-point is the ZS10. I think it is slightly better than the E10. Worth a look as well. Lots of options.

I believe the IT01 scaled better on slightly better sources, I demoed them on my iphone 6s at low volume on the go, and they did sound good, and the cable looked good, but didn't wow me. The E10 in this case is really shining in this scenario, it could even sound better than some really good IEMs!

Maybe I should get a pair of IT01 again~

Update:
Yes, the KZ iems are of high value! I was always interested in the green/cyan AS10, just haven't committed to buy yet.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 12
I believe the IT01 scaled better on slightly better sources, I demoed them on my iphone 6s at low volume on the go, and they did sound good, and the cable looked good, but didn't wow me. The E10 in this case is really shining in this scenario, it could even sound better than some really good IEMs!

Maybe I should get a pair of IT01 again~

Update:
Yes, the KZ iems are of high value! I was always interested in the green/cyan AS10, just haven't committed to buy yet.
I agree--the IT01 does scale fairly well. I am placing my AS10 order this week.

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 12
---

nope, I just tried my friend's E10C last week, and they are pretty lagging in terms of SQ when compared to IT01. For $30, it's a good sound, but nowhere near to either lows/mids/highs/soundstage of IT01, E10C almost sounded dull and muffled in front of them

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 12
nope, I just tried my friend's E10C last week, and they are pretty lagging in terms of SQ when compared to IT01. For $30, it's a good sound, but nowhere near to either lows/mids/highs/soundstage of IT01, E10C almost sounded dull and muffled in front of them

Wow! Guess that IT01 I should really buy one myself now. Pulling the trig...

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Can’t go wrong with the IT01 a very good iem .

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 12
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I used my Byron today and the static issue was non existent, plus I know I was considering the IT01 but I’m now hesitant on spending that much on one when I’m only really using it at the gym, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back