IEM recommendations. £200 give or take. Any like IE80?
Sep 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Main Reactor

New Head-Fier
So after having a pair of Klipsch SIIi> Ety HF5> JVC Xtreme Xplosives> and to be returned SE215 due to connection issues,
I'm wondering what I should buy next?

Never really got a chance to gain an understanding/appreciation for the SE215 because they weren't functioning long enough.

Going to be on a long haul flight next year, so any IEM I buy now, will need decent isolation.

What IEMs do you guys recommend which are:

- Warm/Colourful - follows the rhythm of a song well.
- Vocals Clear
- TOP isolation
- Durable (unlike Klipsch SII)

- ????? 40% bass, 30% mids, 30% highs (But not overpowering bass)
- Decent soundstage (better than SE215)

- Does NOT have replaceable filters (like HF5)
- Does NOT have removable cables.
- Preferably not over-ear.

Listen to a variety of music. Classical. Dubstep. Dance/Electro. Not a bass head by any means.

In the UK, probably buy from amazon.

Not in any particular rush to buy them, so could save for a while, and buy £250+, if worth it.

Seen some good reviews on the IE80. Although with detachable cable, and recent SE215 experience that's putting me off quite a lot. Seem to be getting a bit old as well, so finding replacement cables might be difficult.

Cheers.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 5
I have IE80 for around a year now so I can comment a bit:

Your cable worries: IE80 is great, even if they are with replacement cables you need to use strong force to disconnect cable from housing of iem. It's more likely (literally) that you will tore cable to two than disconnect it. I speak this cos I had problems with cables on last 4 in ears (80$ Sony EX300, 40$ Beyerdynamic DTX41 iE, 150$ Bose IE2, 300$ Sony EX700lp - none lasted over few months) and IE80 is just unbreakable, many times my FiiO X3 ended bungee jumping from my pocket while my IE80s were connected and nothing, so it's really good cable and I doubt anyone will have problems with it.

IE80 are old now but not bad by any means: good treble, decent mids and nice bass tho a bit too much mid bass if you ask me, that sometimes make lower mid range but muddy tho it's usually noticeable while listening to jazz especially vocal with deep voice. They are over ear but that should be a good thing, maybe some time till you get used to it but it reduces that noise provided by the cable (try touching cables with nail on finger while over ear and try it while you wear them normally) as well as staying inside your ear while with other iems you have to set them in ear every now and then to fit. Also really durable overall. About 'TOP isolation', not the best you can find but it's not like they are normal earbuds or something. But sound is powerful and there is bass present so you won't feel that bad about that isolation (in case you don't plan to use them in overloud gym) also you get foam tips (large and small tho, no medium size with iems) that increase isolation really good but they affect sound a bit (maybe not in a bad way for you), similar to comply foam tips). 

So good sound overall (if you are not sensitive to that mid bass (I'd say ~170-250hz mostly)) not the best possible isolation but not so bad as some people say and VERY durable with no problems - especially with cables that are concern to you. If you can best to try and hear them before buying, but about cable really no worries :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you Tail!

Your post has alleviated a fair amount of anxiety about breakages and malfunctions for the IE80!
They're still top of the list for possible purchases.

Do you recommend any others over the IE80, if these are getting pretty old?
(perhaps I'll get lucky and get IE800 if I get IE80 and they break)

Still on the lookout for shops to try out some decent IEMs in Cardiff/area.
The search continues...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Not sure about the others, haven't tried that many iems myself, but IE80 is most durable I owned (tho there are a lot others I guess), actually the only one that lasted over a year (and still in use) since I'm somehow REALLY bad with cables and I saw you were concerned about that and you mentioned you've read good reviews so I just wanted to give my experience on great durability of IE80 and that worry about over the ear and replaceable cables.

Just watch out if you are sensitive to that mid bass, many people complains about that (including me). That bass can affect mid range in unpleasant way but again, it depends on song you are listening to and source can fix it to some point (It was bad on my HTC One X but improved a lot when I got FiiO X3, or I just got used to it :) Headphones are by no means bad, but that is the weak point, for me the only weak point. Also isolation, while sufficient, is not the best you can find, not on Shures level anyways.

I read somewhere that some guy had left ear piece on IE8 malfunctioned and Sennheiser sent him IE80 instead of 8 since they didn't have it anymore, so it was really good compensation, maybe it will be same with you and IE800, who knows :) But i really, really doubt you'll manage to break cables on IE80 and even if you do, Senn is good on warranty, you'll get same or better iems or full money back (had that experience once with year and a half old RS130, left driver started vibrating and not playing low freqs, and since they didn't have that model full refund after year and a half).

But again, best to try them cos maybe you won't like that mid bass. Anyways in that price range there is few well praised iems, you might want to see Vsonic GR07 and save up some money (it's noticably cheaper but not bad by any means), very good value for money I'd say, they sound nice and non replacable but over the ear cable, I used it for around two weeks and cable seemed to be good enough, not sure how good tho since I don't own them, just tested friends (friend got them for almost 2 years now and they are like new - which leads me to think the cables are at least decent if not really good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back