IEM recommendation
Jan 10, 2005 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

psychogentoo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Currently I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-NC11 when traveling. After months of listening to the HD650s and recently MS-2, now I can't stand listening to the NC11s. After an hour or so, I have to stop due to fatigue.

With the talk of the TSA confiscating CMOYs and what not, I've decided not to even bother traveling with an amp this year. The source will be an iPod.

With a budget of $350-400, which IEM would you recommend?

How does the Westone UM2 compare to the E5C? How much more of the highs do you get from the secondary driver when comparing the E5C versus the E3C?

thanks

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 21
with your budget and already expressed interest in the e5c, i will strongly advise you to skip over the e3c's. the e5's BLOW THEM AWAY in every single way.

also, i would advise you to consider thinking about the ue5c's.

this way, you can have custom-molded canalphones and probably (never heard the ue5c's) even better sound than the e5c's. the e5c's are fantastic phones as it is.

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 21
if you are specifically looking for detailed highs, then do not get the e5's.

however, if you are looking for a sweet set of quality canalphones that produce a fun, overall detailed, and powerful sound, the e5's are not a bad choice at all.

but like i stated before, if you're gonna spend 300-400 dollars, you might as well consider the ue5c's and go all out.

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 21
I hate you toaster22... I wasn't even considering the UE5C until you mentioned them. My wallet hates you. I've made an appoinment with an audiologist that UE recommended.

I've done some reading on the UE5C...If I had bought the E5C, I'd most likely be coveting the UEs anyways. I hope they sound good as the reviews suggest but after purchasing the HD650 and the MS-2 based on the head-fi reviews, I'm sure they'll sound very good too.

thanks!!!
icon10.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 21
The Shure E5C sounds great straight out of a 4g iPod. Sounds even better amped.

As far as rolled off highs go, I can't echo these sentiments, and my other headphones are Sony 3000s. Which are famous for being bright if anything. The highs, at first listen, might appear to be rolled off, but they are there in all their glory. The Shures lean towards the warmer end of the spectrum, aren't the fastest headphones in the world, so that does a bit to mask some highs when there are also full mids and low bass playing. But the detail in the highs is there. If you equilize them and bleed off the lows and mids, the highs are present.

I'd say the Etymotics are a bit "faster", so you get more seperation and perhaps a bit more note decay. But that doesn't equal better detail.

The Shures are almost every bit as detailed (if not all) as the Ety's but because of the presentation, they do blend the music together a lot more than the Etys. This is not to be confused with lack of detail.

For your price range and application, I would recommend the E5C. Having never heard any Westone UM products, I can't say wether they are good or bad.

I would suggest jumping in the headphone review forum, as there are a lot of worth while IEM reviews and more importantly comparisons.

Enjoy!

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've decided to get the UE5C.

My wallet hates you all.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 21
Good decision. I dont know what the ue5's sound like but if they are in the same ballpark as my ue10's, you wont be disappointed. Enjoy! Let us know when you get them and shoot some pics.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 21
Just got my ear impressions taken and UE should have it by Friday.

I'll post pics and maybe a small review on how they compare to the NC11, HD650 and MS-2 when I receive them.

My wallet still hates you all.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 21
The E5s were my first IEMs, and to say the least, I was not impressed. To me and my brother they sounded plasticy with little depth and rolled-off highs (that being an understatement). Vocals were very hollow, as well. But I should note that the highs can actually be corrected to a large degree with careful eqing since they are there, just not loud enough, and some don't have a problem with the "character" of the sound.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotheruser
The E5s were my first IEMs, and to say the least, I was not impressed. To me and my brother they sounded plasticy with little depth and rolled-off highs (that being an understatement). Vocals were very hollow, as well. But I should note that the highs can actually be corrected to a large degree with careful eqing since they are there, just not loud enough, and some don't have a problem with the "character" of the sound.

I think I'm starting to understand why this happens. The E5's really do make bad mp3s sound TERRIBLE. On other sources though, or high quality digital files they sound great. I actually like the sound of the Sony 3000, unlike a lot of people who find them too bright. The point being that if anyone wouldn't like the E5s due to rolled off highs, it'd be me
biggrin.gif

I'm can't speak for the UE5/10, and I'm sure they do sound better. But the E5 seems like it has this wierd reputation for being rolled off and hollow. When in reality it's probably just the files, source or seal that was the problem.

If could be wrong, and of course there are other variables to consider, but I just don't consider the E5s to have rolled off highs. A bit warm and dark? Yes. Slightly colored? Yes. Rolled off highs and lack of detail? No. Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry level of forgiveness when it comes to regular digital files? Yes.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychogentoo
With the talk of the TSA confiscating CMOYs and what not, I've decided not to even bother traveling with an amp this year. The source will be an iPod.

I have not had this experience at all on domestic flights in the United States. I've travelled with my cmoy at least eight or nine flights and TSA has never attempted to confiscate it.

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 21
wow....

i made someone get the ue's....

i'm a traitor...

lol.

well, i hope you enjoy your ue5's. after having gone through the e3-e5-sensaphonics 2X-S, i just feel i can no longer recommend universal iems to someone already looking to spend in the 300-400 dollar range. the benefit of going with a custom molded product based on my experience is simply immeasurable; in terms of both sound quality and comfort.

after seeing how impressionable you are, you should thank me for not suggesting you get the 2X-S! although...if you are looking into getting the ue5's and it isn't too late, i suppose i could still recommend you go with the even more expensive 2X-S.

ok, you probably won't go for the 2X-S...at least until you are ready to upgrade...heh.

no seriously, i am glad i talked you into getting some custom molded iems, you should surely find them to be a great improvement over your current phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back