IEM recommendation request - ~$150
Oct 9, 2007 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kylezo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I am back in the forums because I am looking around for info for some new IEMs (this is a dangerous pastime..
very_evil_smiley.gif
). I just got a new SonyEricsson Walkman phone (w580i) and I need to replace the crappy buds that came with it. I am very excited to have a reason to get a new pair...
tongue.gif

I am hoping for some recommendations along these lines: I will not be using an amp (straight cell phone with surprisingly good audio drivers, however). I prefer a warm, spacious sound, not exactly bassy but warm and fast on the low end. I listen to acoustic, alternative and hard rock, some classical/choral, funk, r&b...pretty varied. I am willing to spend around $150, reluctantly...

Also...I have been finding ridiculous prices in the mall here, and so I have been keeping ideas in mind like the UE super.fi 5pro in mind simply because they are so cheap to come by on some occasions.

Thank you for your input, in advance!

Kyle

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 18
Sounds like a Westone sound signature. Maybe the UM1's?

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 18
That's an impressive and encouraging thread on the Atrios M5s. Thank you for that! I will also look out for some info on the Westone UM1s. Thanks guys!

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 18
I've owned both the UM1s and the Atrios, and the latter are far superior in my view, and only $40 more with shipping. The UM1 highs were non-existent to my ears, but they are comfortable.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 18
I think that pretty much settles it, I'm going for the Atrio M5s. Anybody got one for sale?
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 18
Done and done. Actually I low-balled him and he wanted $132. Fine by me! Thanks again everybody, I am very excited!

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 18
I am breaking them in now, I have about 18 hours of pink noise from the .flac file here on them. I have notices some crackling in mids, it seems like they are getting overloaded, sounds a lot like a blown out woofer. Is that because of my source? (direct from laptop headphone out)

The soundstage is wonderful. I will have to post further comments as things develop.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 18
Where's that ebay seller? I can't find anything when looking for Atrio M5.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 18
The... what?

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kylezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am breaking them in now, I have about 18 hours of pink noise from the .flac file here on them. I have notices some crackling in mids, it seems like they are getting overloaded, sounds a lot like a blown out woofer. Is that because of my source? (direct from laptop headphone out)

The soundstage is wonderful. I will have to post further comments as things develop.

smily_headphones1.gif

wow crackling dont sound good, i doubt its the source and you may well have burnt them in with excessive volume...burn in is a delicate process and its easy to damage headphones if care isnt taken, this is usually why burn in can take so long, some people higher the volume to speed up burn in process and in fact ruin the drivers.

if however you did not use excessive volume they could in fact just be faulty, crackling shouldnt occur anyway and if bass sounds like its farting in your ear the driver is damaged
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back