IEM recommendation please
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KJacket

New Head-Fier
I've bought the Monster Turbines ~5 years ago, in my 3rd year, I accidentally dunked the right ear into my warm coffee and it's had decreased volume+decreasing volume over time worn per session. So I used them as a secondary pair though last year, the cables finally gave out near the plug as well as on the right earphone, I poured a new plastic mold over the plug and am using them at home right now temporarily.

Last year I got UE 600vi (compromise with my dad who gifted it to me) which was good for the lightness and smaller size but the cables broke in a year. I'm not that rough on cables but because I usually use them on my desktop/phone and accidentally clip or pull them while I move.

Anyone have recommendations for an IEM that isn't as big as the monster turbine because I have small ears and those sometimes hurt after I wear them for long durations at a time, as well as good cables that are relatively strong and won't break with some rough handling?

I did look at shure earphones but noticed that their detachable cables were a pro as well as a con since I might rip them out if I accidentally clip it. ~$150-250 CAD is a good range although I am willing to consider more expensive alternatives. At this point I'm debating whether to simply get another pair of monster turbines since they had decent sound for their price range and lasted me quite a while. Or blow my budget an get a pair of IE8s.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I've bought the Monster Turbines ~5 years ago, in my 3rd year, I accidentally dunked the right ear into my warm coffee and it's had decreased volume+decreasing volume over time worn per session. So I used them as a secondary pair though last year, the cables finally gave out near the plug as well as on the right earphone, I poured a new plastic mold over the plug and am using them at home right now temporarily.

Last year I got UE 600vi (compromise with my dad who gifted it to me) which was good for the lightness and smaller size but the cables broke in a year. I'm not that rough on cables but because I usually use them on my desktop/phone and accidentally clip or pull them while I move.

Anyone have recommendations for an IEM that isn't as big as the monster turbine because I have small ears and those sometimes hurt after I wear them for long durations at a time, as well as good cables that are relatively strong and won't break with some rough handling?

I did look at shure earphones but noticed that their detachable cables were a pro as well as a con since I might rip them out if I accidentally clip it. ~$150-250 CAD is a good range although I am willing to consider more expensive alternatives. At this point I'm debating whether to simply get another pair of monster turbines since they had decent sound for their price range and lasted me quite a while. Or blow my budget an get a pair of IE8s.

First of all, it's really not likely that you will rip the cables out of shures. They stay on really well. I would not worry about that a single bit. Today, I just got T-PEOS H-200, and they are awesome. They are bit out of your price range with $250, but definitely worth it. In fact, it's better than SE535 imo.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 7
First of all, it's really not likely that you will rip the cables out of shures. They stay on really well. I would not worry about that a single bit. Today, I just got T-PEOS H-200, and they are awesome. They are bit out of your price range with $250, but definitely worth it. In fact, it's better than SE535 imo.

Those actually look pretty sturdy, although the buying procedure a bit complex (I'm in Canada). Definitely consider buying these, thanks for the rec.

Cut to the chase and get JH13 or Sennheiser IE8000.

Haha, unfortunately, I don't think I can drop $1k+ on a pair of iems.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Those actually look pretty sturdy, although the buying procedure a bit complex (I'm in Canada). Definitely consider buying these, thanks for the rec.

Look at amazon or ebay. They have them for a good price. Build quality is very good. Also comes with 2 cables. The best out of best in $250 range. It beats "any" universals I've tried including IE80, UE900, Triple Fi, and SE535.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back