IEM Recommendation needed for my upcoming bday present to myself. $1000 absolute max. Love Mangird Tea 2 even over more expensive IEMs I have tried.
Aug 22, 2023 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yarbles

Head-Fier
Birthday coming up. Want something that will add something different to my line up. $1000 absolute max and those really need to be the absolute tits.

Given I love the Tea 2 so much, how do the Top compare? I may play it safe as I just love what what Xenns do & if these are very distinctly different.

Monarch III? Hype 2? AuR Neon? Letshuoer Ej07? Softears Studio 4?

Current line up:
IEM -
Mangird Tea 2 (all round IEM; 10/10 for me)
FatFreq Maestro Mini (you know what for)
Kiwi Ear Orchestra Lite (gaming & films)
Aful Performer 5 (all rounder - relegated to beaters after the immensely superior Mangird Tea 2 arrived)
Headphone -
Senn 800
Senn 660S2

I love all of these. My taste is very broad. I need a bit of bass (despite Senn 800 being one of my most prized possessions - but these are magical as we all know).

I was very disappointed by the Kiwi Ears Quintet.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Willing to buy used, or new only? There's a lot on the used market that would be well out of budget new.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 15
Also what are you looking for that's different? Planar magnetic sounds, or a departure from the Tea profile? Side grading can be expensive unless there's something distinct your missing for a certain type of music maybe.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Also what are you looking for that's different? Planar magnetic sounds, or a departure from the Tea profile? Side grading can be expensive unless there's something distinct your missing for a certain type of music maybe.
Not liked the planars I've heard, although my experience has been very limited. I have the Audeze Maxwell which I only use for PS5 multiplayer. For single player I use Senn 800/660S2 (currently considering best mic solution). I absolutely hated those for music. The only others I've had are some really budget ones - the KZ PR1 PRO. Yes this is a very limited sample size, but they had similarities that were unique to planars. I really don't like the bass at all. From 14 onwards (now 43) I spent my life in nightclubs either listening & having a dance or DJ-ing. Also spent a lot of time in the studio producing & practicing - whatever it was - clubs/studio, I was fussy about sound & was spoilt - and bass is so important to me. There's something about the planar bass that sounds off to me. I don't do jargon, but there's no punch to it when there needs to be & it lacks definition. I'm very particular about bass (especially sub bass) & I just didn't like how either planar handles it at all. Again - I've not written planar off as I've only had/tried 2 (I know the Quintet had one planar driver but it's not a full on planar set so I didn't include - don't really like those in any case).

Everything I've listed has been significantly more than the $200 Tea 2.

I don't think it's fair to compare anything to the Maestro Mini. They were brought for one reason & they do it really bloody well. Another $500 set isn't a side grade vs these.

Definitely want something that doesn't sound like what I already have.

Less about price and more about the sound.

I'm actually very new to personal listening despite working in & loving music most of my life. Music is now more of a hobby (and music is the hobby way more than equipment is).

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 15
What about the Thieaudio Monark Mk3 or Mk2? They fit within your budget

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 15
Moondrop Variations? They were just on sale for Black Friday (~$450).

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks everyone.

I ended up getting the Mest MKII/Fatfreq Scarlet Mini/Xenns Up & I absolutely LOVE all of them - especially the Mest MKII which I cannot imagine never not having at my disposal - they're absolutely perfect.

Dec 16, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Monarch if they meet your budget.
Demo-ing Prestige Ltd & Monarch Mk II tomorrow. May get one.

I'm not buying for the sake of it... only if I can fill a hole/give me something different; I have four pairs & gave my Aful Performer 5 to my Dad when he was taking time off for illness... I'd maybe like to replace those with something similar but better.

Cheers.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Demo-ing Prestige Ltd & Monarch Mk II tomorrow. May get one.

I'm not buying for the sake of it... only if I can fill a hole/give me something different; I have four pairs & gave my Aful Performer 5 to my Dad when he was taking time off for illness... I'd maybe like to replace those with something similar but better.

Cheers.
The two are superb choices. I own Prestige LTD, which is mid-centric with not so elevated bass and sub-bass (quite enough for one not bass head). Monarch has more bass and sub-bass while still gives out adequate mid and treble. I prefer Prestige LTD's "accurate" performance of when listening to live and symphony.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #15 of 15
Birthday coming up. Want something that will add something different to my line up. $1000 absolute max and those really need to be the absolute tits.

Given I love the Tea 2 so much, how do the Top compare? I may play it safe as I just love what what Xenns do & if these are very distinctly different.

Monarch III? Hype 2? AuR Neon? Letshuoer Ej07? Softears Studio 4?

Current line up:
IEM -
Mangird Tea 2 (all round IEM; 10/10 for me)
FatFreq Maestro Mini (you know what for)
Kiwi Ear Orchestra Lite (gaming & films)
Aful Performer 5 (all rounder - relegated to beaters after the immensely superior Mangird Tea 2 arrived)
Headphone -
Senn 800
Senn 660S2

I love all of these. My taste is very broad. I need a bit of bass (despite Senn 800 being one of my most prized possessions - but these are magical as we all know).

I was very disappointed by the Kiwi Ears Quintet.

Many thanks in advance.
Happy birthday I do hope you get something nice !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back