IEM recommendation for someone going deaf
Jul 24, 2022 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

davemmevad

New Head-Fier
So, the title says it all- I'm going deaf (doc says it is likely an autoimmune thing), and am looking for some IEM's that are capable of putting out some serious volume so I can enjoy music for a few more years before it is gone to me.

I'll be running them off my O2 amp - I've given away the pricey toys to family and friends who are capable of appreciating what I can no longer hear.

As of today, I have around a 70db loss in both ears. At current pace this will be over 100in 3-5 years (the loss is episodic).

My Hearing Aids can stream music but they are made for speech understanding, not tunes, and the compression and noise cancellation is obscene, and I'd like to hear at least a little detail once again if possible. I EQ the output to match my loss, so what I hear is pretty spot on, but most of the ones I've tried break up before getting to the volume I need.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 4
So, the title says it all- I'm going deaf (doc says it is likely an autoimmune thing), and am looking for some IEM's that are capable of putting out some serious volume so I can enjoy music for a few more years before it is gone to me.

I'll be running them off my O2 amp - I've given away the pricey toys to family and friends who are capable of appreciating what I can no longer hear.

As of today, I have around a 70db loss in both ears. At current pace this will be over 100in 3-5 years (the loss is episodic).

My Hearing Aids can stream music but they are made for speech understanding, not tunes, and the compression and noise cancellation is obscene, and I'd like to hear at least a little detail once again if possible. I EQ the output to match my loss, so what I hear is pretty spot on, but most of the ones I've tried break up before getting to the volume I need.

Have u considered some bone conduction earphones? They bypass the acoustic nerves and go thru the outer bones to transmit sound.

These bone conduction sonic fidelity ain't as great as traditional in ears, but they should be quite safe for those with hearing loss due to an inner ear issue. Hope u get better soon though.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Have u considered some bone conduction earphones? They bypass the acoustic nerves and go thru the outer bones to transmit sound.

These bone conduction sonic fidelity ain't as great as traditional in ears, but they should be quite safe for those with hearing loss due to an inner ear issue. Hope u get better soon though.
Hi Basking,

unfortunately BC earphones don't work for me. BC's by pass the outer ear, ear drum and the anvil stirrup mechanism, but still rely on the Cochlea to receive the sound ... and that is the part I've got issues with. No recovering here, either, just a slow decline.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 4
You'll need to speak with an Audiologist for the right recommendation.
Joggler LOL yes, I've been through several. The issue is that hearing aids are not designed for music. They are not designed for accurate representation, they are designed for clarity. You can cheat it at the lower levels of loss, but as it gets worse, their number one priority of making speech intelligible gets in the way of listening to music. HA's have very limited processing, and use a very coarse EQ to get you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back