IEM recommendation for small ears?
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, These actually aren't for me, but a girl at work was just complaining about ear buds/phones because they pop out/don't fit her ears. I'm recommending custom IEM's, being the only way my ears stay happy. She probably doesn't want to spend upwards of $500+ to get into the custom IEM market though.

Any recommendations for decent (universal)IEM's that work well in small (asian) ears?

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 13
i also have very small ear canals. earbuds usually dont fit too well.
i've been using altec lansing im716 which uses etymotic eartips. i am extremely happy with etymotic's small size tri-flanged tips. they are small enough to fit my ear canals and they provide such amazing seals.
if your co-worker does not want to spend over something like $100, i recommend etymotic er6. i think they go for around $60~70.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks guys, I was happy with my Ety ER4-P's I used to have, Ety's seem to be the best for screwed up/small ears, they just hurt a bit.

So far the recommendations list is:

hf5, er6, hf2 (headset), Soundmagic PL50 (but they seem to be less easy to find)...

JH5 Pro, Sleek CT6 custom.

I'm leaving UE out of this
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Klipsch image X10, X5, RE0, Q-Jays, JVC HP-FXC70, Shure E3c, Yuin PK2 and ATH_CK10.......

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Westone would be quite suitable too, I'd say. I had a pair of TF10s that made my ears sore and stuck out; after which I sold them and got a UM3X. The UM3X fits well and is very comfortable.

UM2 looks identical to the UM3X too if you want a cheaper option.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 13
If she doesn't mind IEM's, my girlfriend normally can't fit medium or small shure tips into her ear, and definitely cannot fit any of my IE8 tips into her ear, but when I had my Klipsch S4's, she was able to fit the small tips perfectly in her ear. Was the best fitting tips she has found so far.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 13
q-jays with the xxs tips are really small. I like the sound.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, These actually aren't for me, but a girl at work was just complaining about ear buds/phones because they pop out/don't fit her ears. I'm recommending custom IEM's, being the only way my ears stay happy. She probably doesn't want to spend upwards of $500+ to get into the custom IEM market though.

Any recommendations for decent (universal)IEM's that work well in small (asian) ears?

Thanks!

lol work well is Asian ears? Well, it it helps I am Asian, though I stand 187cm. PL50 are nice and tiny. But, assuming her ear canals are super tiny. smaller the IEM the better. Etymotics, NE-6, ATH-CK100, X10, X5 to name a few.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 13
I have small ear canals (but normal-size ears) and I have more or less the same problem. Earbuds fall all the time, some IEMs pop-out or just hurt.

So far, the models that fitted me properly were:
- Soundmagic PL30 (well... not perfect) and PL21
- JVC Air Cushions (specially with foamies. Tended to pop-out a bit, though)
- Meelec M11 (with foamies. The triflanges hurt a bit) and M9 (foamies only, and have to be very soft)

I'm yet looking for a model that sounds exactly like I want, fits perfectly and it's cheap. And good looking
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back