IEM Recommendation - Detail mostly, Imaging and Soundstage Second
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ShootingStills

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am not an audiophile, but I have always appreciated good sound quality and have a pretty decent HiFi. I have never bought quality wired headphones until recently. I have had quality wireless headphones, and still do, but I was staggered by the difference in audio quality with a wired IEM or Headphone vs a good pair of Wireless Earbuds or HP's (Cambridge, AirPods Pro, Bowers PI7, PX7 etc)

So now, I have a set of 7HZ Timeless and some Sundara over ears. I love both. But like all hobbies I am always curious about see what more is out there. I dont find the Timeless lacking in any area at all and am 100% satisfied, at the moment. That said, I have only heard those, the FH3 and Starfields... At half the cost.

There is a lot of conflicting reviews online about the 'best' IEMs. So I thought I would ask here some opinions and try to firm up a shortlist:

• I am looking for something around the £500 mark at the most.
  • Relatively neutral sound - not warm ideally
  • That is exceptional in detail retrieval - the most important part
  • Had very good imaging and soundstage
  • I am not fussed about bass with these ones - Bass - I am covered with by the Timeless - they are a very fun listen and a very easy listen I think
If you think I am just wasting my time and there isn't anything out there for that money then please let me know

If you think I need to spend more like £1000, if you can still recommend them great, I can try and find a used pair.

Thank you all

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 29
Hello guys,

I am not an audiophile, but I have always appreciated good sound quality and have a pretty decent HiFi. I have never bought quality wired headphones until recently. I have had quality wireless headphones, and still do, but I was staggered by the difference in audio quality with a wired IEM or Headphone vs a good pair of Wireless Earbuds or HP's (Cambridge, AirPods Pro, Bowers PI7, PX7 etc)

So now, I have a set of 7HZ Timeless and some Sundara over ears. I love both. But like all hobbies I am always curious about see what more is out there. I dont find the Timeless lacking in any area at all and am 100% satisfied, at the moment. That said, I have only heard those, the FH3 and Starfields... At half the cost.

There is a lot of conflicting reviews online about the 'best' IEMs. So I thought I would ask here some opinions and try to firm up a shortlist:

• I am looking for something around the £500 mark at the most.
  • Relatively neutral sound - not warm ideally
  • That is exceptional in detail retrieval - the most important part
  • Had very good imaging and soundstage
  • I am not fussed about bass with these ones - Bass - I am covered with by the Timeless - they are a very fun listen and a very easy listen I think
If you think I am just wasting my time and there isn't anything out there for that money then please let me know

If you think I need to spend more like £1000, if you can still recommend them great, I can try and find a used pair.

Thank you all
Your description made me think of moondrop variations, they should be what you are looking for, price tag as well

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 29
Thank you for the reply!
Aren't they very bass heavy? I think I have read about them on a few sites about them being ratter bass orientated, albeit superb and well resolving etc. Are the Blessing 2 original just not a step up / big enough difference do you think?

The blessings are available in the UK, the Variations are 5-6 weeks delivery from China. I'd prefer to get from the UK. I am impatient :wink:
Plus if any issues I dont fancy returning to China.

Thanks though

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 29
I have both the Moondrop Variations and S8, and owned the B2/B2 Dusk for about a year before upgrading. From your list of "wants", I seriously recommend the S8. I bought my pair used for around $450 earlier this year. (edit- Linsoul appears to have them for $100 off right now for 11.11). Treble seriously brushes TOTL -I'd say on par with Monarch Mk1, which I adored minus the fit- and I think satisfies your need for "exceptional" detail. Mids are pleasant, less forward than the Variations. Imaging is solid, not Andromeda-level* but almost nothing is. The B2 always had a "grainy" character in the treble to me, which the S8 doesn't suffer from, even though it's a fantastic set; I think you'd ultimately feel an itch to find something more detailed.
*A used Andromeda 2020 may also be a really good option.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 29
I have been curious what sort of performance IEMs can offer as well, be nice to get a good list of the more detailed ones. I don't have anything more expensive than my 7Hz Timeless or Moondrop Kato, but the Moondrop Stellaris (half the price) strikes me as more detailed than the others I have, with light (but still detailed) bass. Hopefully my two cents is worth something :ksc75smile:

Expensive ones I have a mind to try include the Audeze LCD-i4 or the LCD-i3 and the Meze Rai Penta, the former I have seen a fair amount of recommendations right here on Head-Fi. The latter I am mostly interested in because my HPs I daily drive at home, the Empyreans, have consistently remained my favorite thing to listen to. One review on their website describes the Rai Penta as "the most balanced and precise sounding IEMs I have heard yet". If anyone cares to comment on either, I'd appreciate it.

The IEMs I have are dangerously close to unseating my Empyreans as daily driver. Almost makes it hard to enjoy what I have, with this itch to look for better always at the back of my mind :sweat_smile:

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 29
I have both the Moondrop Variations and S8, and owned the B2/B2 Dusk for about a year before upgrading. From your list of "wants", I seriously recommend the S8. I bought my pair used for around $450 earlier this year. (edit- Linsoul appears to have them for $100 off right now for 11.11). Treble seriously brushes TOTL -I'd say on par with Monarch Mk1, which I adored minus the fit- and I think satisfies your need for "exceptional" detail. Mids are pleasant, less forward than the Variations. Imaging is solid, not Andromeda-level* but almost nothing is. The B2 always had a "grainy" character in the treble to me, which the S8 doesn't suffer from, even though it's a fantastic set; I think you'd ultimately feel an itch to find something more detailed.
*A used Andromeda 2020 may also be a really good option.
Awesome thank you, very helpful indeed. How would you compare the Monarch II to the S8? The monarch is available in the UK, the S8 isn't, but I can order from the US or China, just makes returns a real hassle if there was an issue.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 29
I have been curious what sort of performance IEMs can offer as well, be nice to get a good list of the more detailed ones. I don't have anything more expensive than my 7Hz Timeless or Moondrop Kato, but the Moondrop Stellaris (half the price) strikes me as more detailed than the others I have, with light (but still detailed) bass. Hopefully my two cents is worth something :ksc75smile:

Expensive ones I have a mind to try include the Audeze LCD-i4 or the LCD-i3 and the Meze Rai Penta, the former I have seen a fair amount of recommendations right here on Head-Fi. The latter I am mostly interested in because my HPs I daily drive at home, the Empyreans, have consistently remained my favorite thing to listen to. One review on their website describes the Rai Penta as "the most balanced and precise sounding IEMs I have heard yet". If anyone cares to comment on either, I'd appreciate it.

The IEMs I have are dangerously close to unseating my Empyreans as daily driver. Almost makes it hard to enjoy what I have, with this itch to look for better always at the back of my mind :sweat_smile:
Yeah the Audeze i4 gets strong reviews, the i3's do too for less money. Kinda defeating the object for me though as they are both open back I believe. I would like to look more like a Tie-Fighter though :wink:

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 29
Thank you for the reply!
Aren't they very bass heavy? I think I have read about them on a few sites about them being ratter bass orientated, albeit superb and well resolving etc. Are the Blessing 2 original just not a step up / big enough difference do you think?

The blessings are available in the UK, the Variations are 5-6 weeks delivery from China. I'd prefer to get from the UK. I am impatient :wink:
Plus if any issues I dont fancy returning to China.

Thanks though
No not bass heavy at all, talking about variations.
Other iems that come in mind but could be out of budget are kinera nanna, moondrop s8 or softears rsv, but I don't know what you can find directly from uk.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 29
Ok great thanks for confirming, I maybe have misread other reviews. Yes tough in the Uk unless you order and wait, lots of the mid range Moondrops, DUNU etc are available.
Oh about dunu, sa6 is a great set for your requirements

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 29
Hidizs MD4 (my review) can give you that detail, soundstage, imaging, and low bass. This is especially in the treble configuration (this IEM allows you to modify the cross over by flipping switches). These are my daily drivers when I don’t want to risk my Andromeda 2020. There is certain exaggeration in the way these IEMs (Both MD4 and Andromeda) represent their soundstage and imaging comparing to other ”well-tuned” IEMs on the market.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 29
I'm a bit outdated & also hesitant to recommend as both of these can have slightly odd midrange, but FWIW:

Campfire Ara? For reasonably spacious neutral-brightish details, they've got 'em & have been fairly affordable in sales/b-stock stateside at least.

Ex1000 if you can find one and are fortunate enough to have ears that can get a fit where the upper mid spike isn't out of control.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 29
I'm a bit outdated & also hesitant to recommend as both of these can have slightly odd midrange, but FWIW:

Campfire Ara? For reasonably spacious neutral-brightish details, they've got 'em & have been fairly affordable in sales/b-stock stateside at least.

Ex1000 if you can find one and are fortunate enough to have ears that can get a fit where the upper mid spike isn't out of control.
Really appreciate this. Are looks fab. I remember seeing campfire reviews by Darko Audio a while back and laughed, thinking who the heck pays over a thousands £'s for in ear headphones... 6 months later...

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 29
I can only recommend what I own and based on what your looking for. Maybe moondrop s8,dunu sa6, or have a look on a ba set up. Its really good.
Thanks very much. Yes I think my shortlist is something like:
SA6 / S8 / Variations / Monarch II
Also seen great things about Syphoniium Helios and is UK available.
I'll check out the Campfire Are recommendation too.

I think what I will try (TRY) and do is be patient, not something I have ever done, and wait for a sale or wait for some mint used ones of the above and try some out.
I dont want to spend 1k as I have really only just discovered wired IEM's. So I will wait for some used ones and try them out.
I actually love the write ups of the Ara's! They look very resolving and neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back