IEM Questions (NOT A RECOMMENDATION THREAD)
May 24, 2009 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Loser777

Head-Fier
I bought the Monster Turbines after weeks of deliberation, decided they were at the best price point in addition to them being available locally.
However, I'm still unsure about a few things:
Seal: How do I know I'm getting a proper seal aside from the finger snapping thing? On my right ear I can get enough of a seal that it "pops" when I pull it out. This however, creates a muffled sound, and I usually keep it one step short of being this deep. On my left side, I can't get this kind of seal, but it still sounds good.
Packing: With my stock iBuds, I just wrapped them around my player, not caring how much the cable frayed or was stretched. I'm scared of doing that now, so I put them into the case they came with after coiling them up. Is this a good method? (There's a small pouch thing inside the Turbines case which I don't know the purpose of)

Any tips you have for IEMs in general would be appreciated
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 6
With the IEM's I've got, I've settled on using the Shure Olives and possibly adding some Comply foamies to the collection in the future.

The two ways I put the IEM's in my ears are either rolling the tips between my fingers to compress them, inserting them in to my ears and holding them for a few seconds for the foam to expand.

With my Shure SE530's, though, I can just put the wire over my ear and then just twist them in and it creates a seal that's just fine for me. Both these methods block out just about all the outside noise.

I usually take the cord of the IEM, wrap it around my hand and then kind of loop it together like a pile of rope. Once in a while I'll just coil it around my MP3 player. I haven't had any problems although I'm sure it would probably be wiser, in the long term, to place them in to whatever pouch or case came with them.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions!

May 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 6
My ear canal is quite offset from my out ear opening so I ended up using the largest tips and plugged my out ear opening versus the actual ear canal and then angled the tips to point towards my ear canal. This gives me the best sound and comfort plus very good isolation. If I use smaller tips and try to shove them in to my ear canal I actually cause quite a bit of ear pressure and the tips end up pushed against a part of my ear, muffling the sound.

May 24, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ear canal is quite offset from my out ear opening so I ended up using the largest tips and plugged my out ear opening versus the actual ear canal and then angled the tips to point towards my ear canal. This gives me the best sound and comfort plus very good isolation. If I use smaller tips and try to shove them in to my ear canal I actually cause quite a bit of ear pressure and the tips end up pushed against a part of my ear, muffling the sound.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back