IEM Quest atrio/rf5/phonak looking for advice
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

marshes

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Just wanted to start off by saying Head-fi is an amazing community, been following it for awhile now, and was the primary reason that lead me to buy my wonderful DT770s
atsmile.gif
Looking forward to learning more and getting much more involved.

Quest:
Looking to find a pair of IEMs for around 150 to replace my er6is that were misplaced
frown.gif

Candidates:
Future Sonics Atrio
etymotic research rf5
phonak audeo
Any other suggestions? (um2's would be nice but I really cant afford those anytime soon)

Sound expectations (this is where my problem begins):
I have many different needs and unfortunately I just can't seem to find one pair of headphones that touches all the bases well.
It's very important for these headphones to have excellent isolation (loved the er6i because of this) -I love the triple flange of etymotics, and isolation is crucial for me, I'm on the subway every day and in a really loud city (Boston) and just want to get away to a land of musicallity
I like good lows for the periods of time where I listen to hip hop/rap and jazz (the bad plus -an amazing band)
Yet I don't want to sacrifice the detail and good highs that etys bring to the table

Concerns:
I'm afraid atrio is going to be too much base with not enough detail
I'm afraid the rf5s won't have enough base (although I hear its a small step up from 6is)
I've read reviews on phonak but haven't heard anything like them personally and don't know how they would compare
I might be missing out on other headphones that could be amazingly amazing.

Thanks for the help! I'm open to any and all advice --ack now I have to get my ass to business law...
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 13
What's your DAP ?

If it's bright/neutral sounding (like i.e iPod Touch) take something with good bass (atrio). If the DAP is dark and bassy (i.e Cowon D2) take some bright headphones (Etymotic/ Phonak).
Also, take a look at Q-Jays. They have similiar to Etymotic, sound signature, but better bass (yet, they are definitely not bassy).

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 13
Primarily iPhone 2.5g, video ipod and the occasional slacker portable and built in laptop soundcard.
Does the atrio sacrifice highs and mids to get good bass? What about changing the eq to get better bass response from brighter headphones?

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Former Atrio owner (and Ety ER4P too), and my vote is for the Phonaks. I have an iPod Touch 2G, and believe it or not, if you simply add the bass boost from the EQ (I know, it isn't well thought of, but for me in this specific case, it delivers a nice little kick without distortion) and use the black filters and the Comply foamies (try the silicone as well), you are good to go. The Atrios are very nice, but clunky looking and not easy to wear over the ear. I had the v1, so I can't speak for the newer version. But I do not believe the Phonaks will disappoint in any way. Plus, if you use the discount code, you can get 10 percent off. Excellent IEMs, especially for the money.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 13
I think I am def. leaning towards atrio or phonaks. I'm a big fan of the triple flange, put I've heard good things about shure olives, comply foamies, and etymotics new gliders. I just noticed if i buy the phonaks from their site, they offer 14 day trial no obligation. I might just bite on that...

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can triple flange/olive or gliders be put on phonak audeo? Dothe tips need modification to fit?

Olives can be used for sure, and you can squeeze triple flanges on is my guess, since they are so flexible. Not sure about gliders from Ety. I wrote Ety asking for a sample, but no response. Was going to check if they sold them yet. THe Complys that come with the PFEs are very good, as are the silicone bulb-like sleeves. Olives or flanges would need no mods to work with the PFEs.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Wanted to thank everyone so far, especially tstarn06, guys have been a big help so far. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on some PFEs black filter, and changing up the tips to either olives or...

these, Triple Flange Sleeves for Westone 3, UM2, UM1, Shure SE series, SCL4, SCL5 and SCL3 (3 pairs)
gonna probably order them (big triple flange fan) if the regular er6i triples dont fit

PS JUST ORDERED SOME PFEs WITH MIC AND BUTTON FOR iPHONE
WOOT!
Thanks for your help

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 13
Lol darnit looks you succeeded in get almost half the phonak team over here. Wish I could have got here on time to place my input. Seems like you already made the right choice though. Make sure you go to the Phonak thread to post you're impressions. You have now entered a world of perfection , enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back