IEM Purchase Decision
Feb 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yerodtr

New Head-Fier
This forum/site was referred to me by another member (co-worker) to aid in my first IEM purchase and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to help in my decision. I have done good amount of research over the last couple days and now am more confused and less decided than when I started this adventure. As a moderator of another forum I understand how it can be annoying and redundant for new individuals to show up and ask the same question repeatedly. I hope that this will be well received.

So… onto the subject at hand. I’ll break this out into different sections/criteria.

The requirements for the IEM will be following and in order of importance:
-Noise isolation (I need to escape from my work surroundings to truly concentrate on the, at times, tedious work at hand).
-Comfort (ability to basically wear these on/off for the majority of a work day)
-SQ
-Durability of construction (I do a fair amount of traveling and these will live in my laptop bag)
-Wrap around to back of ears (preferred method of wearing)

Contenders for said IEM purchase:
-Sennheiser: CX400
-Sennheiser: CX500
-Klipsch: Custom-1
-NuForce: NE-8
-Ultimate Ears: Super.fi 3

Purpose of IEMs:
-Used primarily at the office and occasionally on an airplane (mostly music and occasionally movies)
-Used in conjunction with my iPod (classic or touch)
-Used in conjunction with my laptop.
-Will NOT be used for any type of exercise/working out

As evident by the IEMs (entry level) I have been looking at the budget for this purchase is capped around $100 USD. I have been able to find all of the listed at/below $100 so far from reputable sources online.
I would greatly appreciated input from your experiences as to which IEM would best suit my needs or any IEM not listed that would be better.
Thanks!

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 15
well what kind of sound do you want also what currency are you using?

of the requirements you mention i would cay the klipsch custom 1's would fit the bill nicely but you will either love the sound or really not. something like the nuforce ne-8 might be something you would prefer sound wise but wont give the same isolation or be so good at wrapping round the back of your ears

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the quick responses!

I primarily listen to rock and country.

Like I said.... noise isolation and comfort/wearability, for this application, are slightly higher on the list than SQ.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Custom 1 if you do not mind the lack of bass quantity. They sound good with rock music. I personally find the Customs to be very comfortable. The problem is first trying to get a good fit. You can also always use Shure olives tips if you need more isolation.

The ER6i is also a good choice.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 15
UM1s, comfort great, but they sound like a muddy mess. Highs muffled. Check out the RE2s at head-direct.com, on sale for $49. Detailed, clean sound, not bass heavy, but a FiiO can add some bottom. These are originally $99 phones.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the continued comments/suggestions. My initial thought was to go with the UE Super.fi 3 but nobody has mentioned those.

I guess at this point it is a toss up between the Custom-1, ER61 and the RE-02.

Just from looking at the different IEMs the Custom-1 appears to be the most comfortable to wear and most durable (just from pictures online). It also looks like the Custom-1 is the only set that wraps behind the ear as well.

Hmmm.....

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 15
So the Custom-1 ear tips are interchangeable with the Shure's? My friend/co-worker uses the yellow foam tips from Shure and swears by them. I could see those as being very comfortable and great for noise isolation.

What are people's thoughts on the UE Super.fi 3?

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Are these specifically what you are referring to?
Shure * - Black Foam Sleeves

I think I have tentatively made up my mind. I'll probably go with the Klipsch Custom-1, FiiO E3, and Shure tips. Hopefully that combo will provide a nice setup (without breaking the bank for this application).

Now I just need to find a nice/good male-to-male connect between the iPod and FiiO.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 15
I find the ER 6i quite comfortable and when used with etymotic's new mushroom tips they're on their own tier above the rest for isolation (and most consider them to be at the top of the next tier down with the stock triflanges)

SQ might be a little bass-lenient for rock, but it is very clean and detailed and a fiio amp or some good EQ can add a little extra bass.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 15
Well thank you all for your suggestions. I just placed the orders for the Custom-1, FiiO E3, and interconnect cable from Headphonia.

I look forward to using my new purchases and continual use of this site. I hope to add to what I have beyond this basic "office use" purchase and get something higher quality for the house.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back