IEM owner looking to buy 1st pair of cans (<1k)
Apr 16, 2006 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

libertine

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Like many other I was wondering if people here would be kind enough to recommend me a pair of cans.

I currently have a pair of UM2s (which I love), but would like a pair of cans.

Source:: 5g Ipod (w/Turbodock) and a portable amp

Budget: less than $1000 (I have no issue buying used cans for cans that new are above 1k but used in below).

Music: Indie Rock, Punk, Folk, Blues, Acoustic Rock, soft country.

Artists I like: Ryan Adams (not Bryan!), Sigur Rose, The Bright Eyes, The Smiths, Radiohead, Cat Power, Nirvana (Unplugged), Regina Spektor.

If anyone wants a better idea listen to the music of these 3 artists (they all have streaming audio on their sites):

http://www.myspace.com/dustinsbarmitzah - click on "To the Ramones" on right hand player

http://www.myspace.com/twogallants

http://www.myspace.com/reginaspektor

What I was thinking (from research on this site):
w5000, MS-Pro, RS-1, K701.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 12
I suspect that people would suggest budgeting an amp for most mid-high end cans (which your budget seem to allow anyway, unless you go for the higher end stuff).

PeeeMeS will probably tell you that the AKG 701 works fine with the iPod though
wink.gif

I'll let someone else give a proper answer, but I do think some kind of Grado/Alessandro would is worth considering. Not sure if it is wise to go straight ahead RS1/MS Pro though - if you've never tried Grado.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Just one pair? I am definitely from the camp of cans for a certain genre. There is no perfect can. There are some good all arounders though. Senn HD 650 and AKG K701s come to mind.

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd agree that if you're just heading out to find headphones, I'd recommend getting a sampling of many headphones from all manufactors:

> AKG 701 (350$)
> HF-1 (350$)
> HD650 (300$)

Or substitute one for a hornet.

Duke

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I'd agree that if you're just heading out to find headphones, I'd recommend getting a sampling of many headphones from all manufactors:

> AKG 701 (350$)
> HF-1 (350$)
> HD650 (300$)

Or substitute one for a hornet.

Duke

Oh just get all three of them used. You'll be able to do that under $1k. Although, your search for the ultimate headphone still won't end there.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Although, your search for the ultimate headphone still won't end there.

This seems to be so true for me so far.

I agree with milkpowder. You can grab HD650s for $290, K701s for $300 and HF-1s for $300 (sometimes in the FS Forum).

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Although, your search for the ultimate headphone still won't end there.

Good thing I am not seeking for "ultimate headphones" then
biggrin.gif

I may try another pair at some point if they complement what I've already have but right now I am pretty happy with the "coverage" I have with the HF-1 and K701. The RS-1 may be a step up from the HF-1, but it doesn't mean that I have them on my list of next upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
AKG K1000 can be obtained for less than $1000

Aren't they discontinued? And you would need a pretty powerful amp to drive those.

Apr 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Seeing that you enjoy singer/songwriter stuff and prefer an acoustic presentation, I'd definitely recommend a pair of wooden Grados. RS-1, MS-Pro, RS-2... that's your decision. But there is something magical about wooden Grados and acoustic guitars and vocals. The K 701, while being an amazing all-around headphone, is not nearly as intimate or involving as Grados are. And I wouldn't use my K 701s portably. Those things are enormous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back