IEM or conventional phones for iPod?
Dec 19, 2005 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Russell

Head-Fier
I've just purchased a new 5G 30GB iPod (my first iPod) and am very happy with it so far. Of course, I'd like to replace the standard earbuds with something better. I've done a bit of research here and on iLounge, and it would seem that IEM phones are the way to go. I've narrowed my choices to the Shure E3C, Ety ER6i, and the UE Super.fi 3 or 5. (The cost of the UE5's would be the absolute max I'd want to spend, but I'd be willing to do so if they were worth it.)

BUT--I've never used IEM phones before and am a little nervous about sticking these things in my ear canal. I also worry about the finicky nature of getting IEM's to seal just right in order to produce adequate bass response. (I'd also want to show off my new iPod to friends, but would worry about whether they'd be hearing it properly through my IEM phones.)

I now wonder whether a good conventional (on-the-ear) phone might be better for my purposes. Isolation (or the lack of it) is not an issue, as I do not plan to use my iPod in public places or while exercising. I've read good things about the Sennheiser PX-100. (And they're cheap, too!) Any other recommendations for a good iPod-compatible conventional phone? Or would a good IEM phone provide better sound?

I should also mention that I''m somewhat of an audiophile and use Stax SRS-3030's at home. I listen mainly to classical music (large-scale orchestral and opera). I don't want to use an add-on headphone amp with the iPod, as I think it would detract from the 'wow' factor of having such great sound coming out of a tiny source.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Russell

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Get the KOSS KSC-35 for around $20. Apparently the sound on these is better than that of the PX100's and nearing that of the SR60's. I don't have them though, but no one seems to not like them.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 8
I recommand you try some Sony MDR-E888. Really amazing earbud, and there is one mod that has been discussed on this forum that you can perform and making it sound even better. However, that earbud requires a lot of burn-in just let you know.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 8
You might as well buy yourself an RS-1 now, and save the expense of all the upgrade-itis that is going to hit you!!
tongue.gif
Your poor wallet!!

If you are not concerned about other people hearing what you hear, then an SR60 would be a nice start into high qualty listening. If you want only portability, then the Shure E5c, E4c, and the Etymotic ER-4P are my choices.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
You might as well buy yourself an RS-1 now, and save the expense of all the upgrade-itis that is going to hit you!!
tongue.gif
Your poor wallet!!

If you are not concerned about other people hearing what you hear, then an SR60 would be a nice start into high qualty listening. If you want only portability, then the Shure E5c, E4c, and the Etymotic ER-4P are my choices.

LOL. I would like to add head-fi greeting to this.

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't really enjoy sticking things in my ear so I went with the PX100s for my iPod. They match up quite well and I've been happy with the combo.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 8
As for sharing IEMs with friends... I don't recommend it. If you want to show off the sound of your iPod with friends you may want to get non-canalphones.

I personally use IEMs because I listen to music in public places at least 50% of the time. If I didn't I would definitely get an amp + some nice headphones. If you don't want an amp you could just get some nice headphones. I want to spend money on nice headphones, but I don't have any money left because it all goes into my IEMs.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 8
AKG K 26 P, ATH-ES7, PX100 and ATH-FC7 are all good closed phones (except the PX100) and also very portable. Earphones deliver overall good sound and the bass may be touted as good but will never sound as good as it sounds with full-sized phones. Remember also that the sound you get from earphones is produced by tiny transducers, meaning it's not natural but artificial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back