IEM (Not high bass..but more treble/clarity)
Mar 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mesanie

New Head-Fier
Hi..

I'm new to this forum and to the audiophile world.
I own a Sennheiser HD555 and a Sansa Fuze.
I'm looking for an IEM to suit my style but i have not a big budget..
Lets just say around $100-$150..

I've been recommended Phonak Audeo PFE..etc from other forums.
I'm just wondering what will you recommend me within my budget range and overall best quality in SQ.

Songs i like is Pop/Classical. R&B is ok too..
I don't like Rock or Rap.

And another question i wanna ask it about Amps. Should i get one? (Sorry if it's out of topic)

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 18
ER-4p are a great option, priced 176$ now.

Best clarity you'll get of headphones in this price range, and great all around. Indeed treble oriented and very clear...

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 18
Vote for PFEs here, less $$$ than ER4P, more comfy, very good customer service. They've had some issues with the durability, but will replace any defective phones, and sooner then later (I hope) they will get that bad batch out of the mix. And there are some Head-Fi'ers who prefer the PFEs over the ER4P as well (and vice versa, of course), so it's not one-sided.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 18
You can get a PFE and Fiio E5 amp for just about your budget cap (using the coupon). I'm not familiar with a fuze and how much it can output. That may be a possible issue with just the PFE. The ER4P is very good but seems a bit out of your budget. The HF5 may be a good option too at $100 on Amazon. Not too familiar with it but maybe some people who have one can offer their opinions/comparisons.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 18
I run my etys (hf5 & er4-p) from an 8 gig Clip which has the same soundchip as the fuze & the player performs quite well without an amp. HF5 would be your cheapest option currently @ $100 on amazon. SQ is quite close to the er4-p & costs $70+ less. PFE's also run quite well on Clip/Fuze w/o an amp, but the bass is a bit more dominant on the PFE's vs the ety's.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 18
I've had the HF5s for a few days & they are great! I'd probably go for the Er4P IF the SQ was 76.00 better than HF5 but the extra cord length on the er4 is a negative for me

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the HF5s for a few days & they are great! I'd probably go for the Er4P IF the SQ was 76.00 better than HF5 but the extra cord length on the er4 is a negative for me

Seconding this. IEMs don't really get more clear than Etys. I think the $50 off Amazon coupon is good for another day or two.

As for amps, go for a FiiO E5 or something like that if you're not looking to spend much.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 18
The PFEs or any of the Etys make sense. If instrument timbre (and a greater love of really high quality bass) become important, then the Monster Turbines should be added to the list.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 18
PFEs or ER4Ps are good. As of right now, HF5s are on Amazon for $99. Maybe pick those up for best treble/clarity and detail, and very controlled and refined bass, but not as much quantity in the low end.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for all the replies!
smile.gif

Just came back from class and i see so much opinions.
So basically i have Phonak and Etymotic to think about..
Head-Direct RE2 was also on my list.
Will think about it too.

But i have a liking for phonak PFE because of the reviews on ABI..

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 18
Hey i would like to ask..
I see in amazon there are many sellers selling etymotic or phonak..
But which should i get?
Which is trustable?
Can someone give me a link of a good seller selling phonak pfe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back