IEM Noises
Nov 15, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

crapback

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased a set of Klipsch Custom 3's a week ago. I know they didn't get the greatest reviews here but after sifting through all the info I could find, they seemed like a really good deal at $163.

It did take some fiddling around with the different tips to find the right seal and at this point it's up in the air between the large gels and comply foams. I get the best seal with the comply's but one pair has already started to come apart from the process of getting them into my ears as far as I like. As for the sound I am more than happy. I don't find the bass overpowering at all as some have stated. In fact, I find the sound very well balanced. I get a kick out of watching foobar's spectrum analyzer and seeing what I hear coming out of the C3's. If anyone's is wondering I run them out of my predator from my laptop or out of a fuze for the moment until my replacement zune120 comes back.

On the the topic of this thread. Most of the negative reviews of the C3's were based on the microphonics of the cord and the memory wire ear wrap. Up until about 10 minutes ago, i haven't actually moved around enough while wearing them to notice any significant amount of microphonics. I didn't buy IEM's for true portability. I'm a truck driver and I don't feel comfortable transporting my 650's all the time as everything in my rig takes a serious beating while driving. I started my little walk with the cord in front of me like most other IEM's. That produced quite a bit of mp noise. So I switched to cinching the cord behind my neck like the instructions recommend and started walking again. The mp noise was much less, in fact not enough to notice except during the quiet passages in my music. As for the wire wraps, they aren't much of a bother after I bent them to stay out of contact with my glasses. I didn't buy IEM's for true portability.

Here's the kicker. This is the reason I posted this thread. I haven't read anywhere about anyone complaining about this type of noise while wearing IEM's so I figured I'd write something up and see if it's just something wrong with me.
smily_headphones1.gif
The microphonics of the C3's arent enough to bother me when walking and worn as recommended.

I can hear my body creaking with every step. Every footstep, every time my heel hits the ground. And then there are the pops in my joints, it's like my own percussive symphony. I've read a number of people say how they won't use IEM's that they can't move around in without mp noise. I can't see myself moving any further than across the house with IEM's in my ears. I wondered if it were something unique to the C3's so I put in my fx300's and walked to the end of the street. I get the same thing. It's actually kind of depressing when i think about it cause I'm only 35. I knew I had some messed up joints from the jobs and injuries I've had over the years but this makes me hope they perfect some kind of regenerative serum or nanotechnology soon. I don't see how anyone could wear a pair of IEM's and work out or do some yard work with the kind of noises I hear when I move.

I just had to write this up and ask all you IEM addicts out there if you experience the same noises when you move around. Am I the only one around that's so creaky I can't enjoy IEM's when I walk?

popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 6
ive had the same experience with certain earphones like cx300, ai-m6 and to a certain extent er6i when worn straight down.

its not too bad when u wear them over the ears or have a clip on them

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 6
one way of looking at it is, at least you are listening to inner noises, rather than noises coming from the outside... just stay still and everything's quiet inside, but you cant control the sounds outside...

besides, i think its bad practice to routinely walk around with something sealing your ears, you might need to hear something coming up to you... in a vehicle, maybe it wont matter, since it mostly relies on visual cues, in fact the seal could relieve some fatigue from being exposed to the constant road and engine noise for when the music is turned off...

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I can't listen to headphones or IEM's while I'm driving. I could lose my CDL and get ridiculously huge fines.
frown.gif

The noises my body makes are really loud, like tapping on the C3's housing when I'm inserting them loud. I guess that's what seven years as a mover did to me. I tried walking around with a pair of foam earplugs in the other day and I think I can hear what arthritis sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back