IEM no price limit with Bass.
May 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally ordered a pair of UE11. I got them for $920 including tax and shipping.

Thank you all!

That's great! Tell us how they compare to your E9 in a couple weeks
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not having heard the UE 11 I'd definately recommend the Atrio's!!!!

x2 on that. The bass depth and impact on those Atrios are really awesome.

May 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like you i like my headphone to reach low's (40hz) without sacrificing precious dB's and am very sensitive to aggressive/overemphasised highs. And to rease the bar even higher, i want clarity and airy-ness where IEM's are known for. Having tested the Shure E500 for myself, i can not recommend them, The lows are not as strong in the sublow's as other options outthere. And the highs are best compared to what a metal dome (instead of a softdome) does to a sound signature in a normal speaker, so there is a light sibilance in the upper highs.

IEM's that could do better in the low's are Future Sonic Earmonitor, but it's a single driver, so i am not sure how it handle mids/highs with clarity. Having no experience (yet) of the swing from Ohr&More i expect great things from this IEM. The owner of O&M said it was even possible to order a swing with a another driver for an even more (better/tighter) lowend. But finding people with experience with those iem's are very scarce.
frown.gif
I have heard that the earmonitor is a improvement over the atrio series.

Having put in my thoughts, i will get burned for calling the E500 not a basswonder...

smily_headphones1.gif

yes i can see why you would bet burned for saying the e500 lack sub bass power, but i have to say as far as it responds i can hear frequencies as low as 25hz which is great for an armature based set of earphones, granted it isnt loud but as bass gets that low its more about feeling than sound so whoever expects it to boooom at 25hz needs to look into bass more.

but im with you, i think you will always get louder bass from a good set of dynamic driver phones such as super fi 5 EB or atrio phones. but such phones may lack a good response in the sub range < 30hz.

ive gotta say tho i love the se530 when playing bassy music and the thing to point out is although to get the bass banging in the sub range you have to turn the volume knob up, it rarely if never distorts and performs very well at higher volume in the lows.

the overall king tho for sub-like bass must be the UE11, followed by a dominent atrio m5 (although mids and highs are very mid range price quality), and id put the se530 in at third for pure bass purposes but second overall.
biggrin.gif

money no object...get the UE11's

May 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes i can see why you would bet burned for saying the e500 lack sub bass power, ...

Talked about it somewhere else but could not find it.

The reach of 25hz, like i sad in point 1.

About the UE 5 EB, the problem here is that the lowdriver goes on to far! Way up and past a 100hz, and so, overwhelming the mids. If it could be crossed at see a 100hz, I would be a very happy camper. I once had the pleasure of testing the Shure E500 (test has gone offline
frown.gif
, but the 2 drivers help in the upperlows, but does not much for that (for me) important 40hz-80hz range. The SPL are behind on the mid/high range. Remeber, a 3 dB drop equals half the volume. And besides that, dynamic drivers just move more air which translates in higher reachable SPL's than armature drivers.

But dynamic drivers have another shortcoming. Something understood by Bang & Olufsen with there Adaptive Bass Linearisation (ABL). If a driver is sealed in a room, there is a point where increasing volume does not result in more bass. After this point the more volume you give, the more muddy'er it will begin to sound. Kinda like the room is full and can't handle a bigger pressure swing (a.k.a. sound). To let a dynamic driver reach lows, there is almost everytime a small chamber behind it. Increase the volume over a certain treshold, and the bass will turn muddy. Armature drivers don't seem to have this problem. When reaching there treshold, the just don't go louder.

On the other hand, if volume is to low, because of the way you hear, you will start loosing hearing sublows. The Fletcher–Munson curves.

All in all very interesting stuff. A good solution would be to design a headamp with a digital volume control. Use a crossover to split the sublow from the rest. run the sublow through a filter that correct the low roll off drivers have (have a look over here). So for example each 6dB/octave loss of the driver, boost 6dB/octave. The starting point where this filter starts should be controllable and i don't know if all headphones roll off with the same amount else this would also be selectable.

The rest signal get's it's own volume controller and act as a master. The sublow volumecontroller is programmed in such a way that it follows the master-volume-controller. Find the point where you lose hearing the sublow signals. (Fletcher–Munson point) this will act as the lowest point this sub-volume-controller would reach. To put it better, if the master-volume-controller decreases beyond this point, the sub-volume-controller doesn't follow but remains on that level. Find the second point where the used driver has reached it's point where increasing the bass will only result in added muddyness instead off more bass. Let's call this the saturationpoint. When increasing the master-volume-controller past the saturationpoint, the sublow-volume-controller remains on it's saturationpoint. (the idea behind B&O's Adaptive Bass Linearisation). Implemitation would look like a volume knob with 2 buttons. Set the volume on normal listening level, decrease the volume, when you notice the sublow start to fade. puch the flatcher-munson-point-marker-button (the marketing boys and girls would have a fieldday with this kind of terminology
biggrin.gif
). Then increase the volume and when noticing that the sound starts to muddy up, hit the second saturation-point-button. And you're set, just select you're desired listening volume and enjoy. Let's call it smartDrive™©®...
biggrin.gif

Add a easy to measure/implementation HTRF and a Bionic EQ curve on this amp and you've got yourself a winner. There is a nice HTRF solution out there already, but not kind off portable and it's hefty price tag is also a big problem. Enter the Studer BRS (Binaural Room Scanning) processor:
ann_studer_brs.gif

Maybe we should contact Tension Labs and let them know that the EAP 03 needs some follow up work...
edit: email send, have to get back to me...
EAPsmall.jpg

May 12, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 26
x2 on the FS Atrio's. Preferred it over the SE530. I would EXPECT the UE11 to be better, considering the massive cost.

May 13, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #25 of 26
The UE-11 is the only earphone I've had that I can hear the entire 16khz - 20 hz sine sweep I have as a reference WITHOUT raising the volume when it stretches for 20 hz.

The thing is that with that low subbass you can (if you're lucky) hear both a tone and the noise the membrane makes when it moves back and forth. With my SR325is (which by the way have great bass extension) I can only hear down to say 25hz, after that it is all about a SENSATION of the ear vibrating (if i really crank it) or the noise from the membrane.

The only headphone I've tried so far that beats the UE-11 as far as bass extention goes is the GS1k, and that was only by a slight margin. I much prefer UE-11 bass though, but that might be because I dislike the GS-1000 for many types of music.

It will never be as fun as feeling the bass against the ear from a can or feeling a subwoofer pounding your chest back and forth, but the UE-11 are the bass kings as far as bass DETAIL goes.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 26
Too late for OP I know, but the Cosmic Ears HY3 is a custom IEM with two balanced armatures and a dynamic driver for the bass.
They also do an XB version upon request which uses a bassier dynamic driver than the standard one ( don't know whether it's bigger, or the crossover is different )
I had the 'Flex' model which is configurable, and went for the 2ba/reduced bass dynamic.
It had pretty respectable bass, favorably comparable to my UE TF10s, not as tight but more extended ( I'm borderline basshead myself ).
An accident meant I didn't get to hear them fully broken in, but I'd still recommend them.
The XB version have been commented on by Swimsonny and sound like they might suit extreme bassheads without completely sacrificing everything else.

Oh, and they're customs, for under 250GBP!!

Cosmic are awaiting parts as I write this, so aren't taking orders just yet, can't imagine it'll be long before they resume production though?

http://cosmicears.com/products/custom-earphones/hy3/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back