IEM - new to the game with e4's (problems)
Nov 21, 2005 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

taran

100+ Head-Fier
arite well ive posted a few times but ive been reading many a post on here and well all i can say is i blame you all for me splashing out on shure e4's.

i got mine yesterday and was so excited, carefully unpacking them and reading the manual before i did anything.

then i put the small soft tips on and jammed them in my ear..........well i tried to.

well from what i could hear, these things are the lick! i somehow feel that i aint getting the best sound out of them which could be due to many reasons.

problem1 - i think my ear canal is very small. not even the small soft tips go in, i dont think. this is just based on the fact that i am able to move the drivers more than i thought i would able to.

problem2 - everytime i try to push the e4s into my ear it seems that the sound is getting more an more fainter like my ear canal is closing up. this problem i beleive may be the cause of earwax but im not too sure.

problem3 - ive tried the foam tips seeing as they are known to be the easiest to put into ur ear. i tried these and for some reason sound and comfort still didnt feel right. when i took out the foamies out of my ears they didnt look like they went in an awful long way. even when i looked in the mirror i could still see some yellow on both sides.

problem4 - when i put the e4's in my ears, the drivers dont seem to sit flush in my ear and sort of stick out a little from the corners which where there is the labelling "L" and "R". could this be considered normal.

problem4 - after trying so many times my ears are starting to hurt which is peeing me off because i really want to be able to use IEM's seeing as i dont wana take the step to full size cans.

problem5 - i own an iaudio m3 and i really dont have a clue what volume should be sufficient and whether or not excessive volume will damage the headphones. everytime ive put the e4's in my ears, ive had to adjust the volume probably due to incorrect fit.

problem6 - i need your lots help becuase so far i am totally lost with how i can sort out the problems. ill appreachiate any comments given.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 25
You don't need to put the e4s in deep to get a good seal. Iknow this is going to sound weird, but do you either have too much wax or not enough wax in your ears. Your ear's wax acts as a bit of a natural lubricant and can promote a seal. Too much can clog the nozzles. Try some hydrogen peroxide to clean 'em; check this thread out.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 25
Problem 1: everybody's ears are different... could you a take a pic while it's in your ear so we can see if you're doing it right?

Problem 2: the sound opening may just be hitting cartilidge. You should probably go to an audioligist if you think it might be wax, though.

Problem 3: hmmmmmmmmm. If you can see the yellow, that's probably not in far enough. Once you use 'em for a while, your canals will probably expand enough to let the E4s fit.

Problem 4: yes, that' normal. Mine go all the way in, but people think I'm crazy for shoving 'em in that far...

Problem 5: only you can say, really. Probably about 1/4-1/3 volume.

Problem 6: yeah, uhm, sure.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 25
problem1 - i think my ear canal is very small. not even the small soft tips go in, i dont think. this is just based on the fact that i am able to move the drivers more than i thought i would able to.

What do you mean you are able to move the drivers more than you thought you would be able to? Doesn't that mean you need to use a bigger tip?

problem2 - everytime i try to push the e4s into my ear it seems that the sound is getting more an more fainter like my ear canal is closing up. this problem i beleive may be the cause of earwax but im not too sure.
I think you're pushing them in too far, causing the tip to be up against the skin in your ear, blocking the noise?

problem3 - ive tried the foam tips seeing as they are known to be the easiest to put into ur ear. i tried these and for some reason sound and comfort still didnt feel right. when i took out the foamies out of my ears they didnt look like they went in an awful long way. even when i looked in the mirror i could still see some yellow on both sides.
Squish the foam up first, then put it in as far as you can. Hold it there for a few seconds then let go. Is this what you did?

problem4 - when i put the e4's in my ears, the drivers dont seem to sit flush in my ear and sort of stick out a little from the corners which where there is the labelling "L" and "R". could this be considered normal.

Everyone's ears are different. You just probably have smaller ones

problem4 - after trying so many times my ears are starting to hurt which is peeing me off because i really want to be able to use IEM's seeing as i dont wana take the step to full size cans.

IEMs are known for discomfort in some. Try something that doesn't go in too deep? (Semi-canalphones, i.e. EX71?)

problem5 - i own an iaudio m3 and i really dont have a clue what volume should be sufficient and whether or not excessive volume will damage the headphones. everytime ive put the e4's in my ears, ive had to adjust the volume probably due to incorrect fit.
I don't knwo on the m3, but with IEMs i tend to keep the volume down REAL low on DAPs

Hope I helped a bit

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 25
stevesurf, i dunno if its too much or too little ear wax. when i first took them out of my ears there was hardly any earwax on them if any at all. i normally dont use cotton ear buds to clean my ears though so i might actually be pushing ear wax into my ear which could be blocking the sound.

w1ned what i mean by moving the driver is i can move the case side to side while in my ear. it seems easy to do which might be dus to there being not a good seal. but then if thats the case if i try medium tips, they dont seem to fit in my ear canal at all.

i might be pushing them in too far but then if i dont they feel as though they will just fall out. eventually over time like a couple of seconds i feel them slowly come out of my ear and any existance of bass dissapears which would mean they are not in properly.

i did do the process of squeezing the foam tips and i jammed them in but once i took them out there was more squashed foam than unsquashed foam.

i didnt want to buy sonys because going from sennhesier mx550's, i just wanted to jump into the deep end to get some wikid sound. hardly any luck so far.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 25
IEMs take some time to get used to. Don't get so frustrated yet, your ears need some toughening up first. If the sound is getting dampened while youre pushing the foamies in, the foamies are probably getting squished in a way that's occluding the hole for the sound to come out of the headphone.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 25
i think i have small ears..relatively...
and maybe thats y i dont use any of those tips, they seem too big for me....
nonetheless, i do find the foams pretty.. comfortable...
rolleyes.gif

perhaps, u can carve down the edges of the foams a bit, just a little bit, so that it would shape like this... =>
rolleyes.gif
<=

and perhaps, it would allow u to insert em a bit deeper... sound-wise, i wouldnt know but i would think that it would provide better isolation along with some comfort

going to try em when i get the replacements foams
rolleyes.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 25
¿Are you rolling the foams with your fingers before inserting them???

You must do it, then use this few seconds of the foams being 'crunched' to insert them without any difficulties.

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 25
jmmmmm the loss of sound happens with both foamies and small soft tips.

cantsleep, thats a good idea, i guess ill take jmmmmm's word for it and spend more time "toughening up my ears to accomodate the e4's but if not ill reshape the foamies because that seems like a logical idea.

countach, yes i am rolling the foamies. i try to squeeze as hard as i can. the tubing of the foamies seem kinda big aswel in terms of radius. the hole looks bigger than the soft tips hole.

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 25
That's weird... E4 fits nice.

Maybe if you post (or send by PM) a pic of your ear wearing the E4 and without them, can see what's happening.
rolleyes.gif

I remember my firsts days when I was afraid of inserting anything down my ears... maybe you are refusing to push more because you think they can't?

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 25
i would take some pics if i could but i aint got access to a camera seeing as im at university.the only time i could take pictures would be near christmas, by the time i might have sorted the problem hopefully.

i thought my ears were hurting because i was being too rough and pushing hard.

im going to be trying them out again later on to see what happens and ill keep this post updated then.

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 25
after more fiddling around and testing with the fittings ive come to a conclusion that for my ears all tips are useless apart from the foamies.

ive finally got a nice tight, reletavly comfy seal for my left ear. its only my right ear now which i cant seem to get right but hopefully this will sort itself like the other ear did.

didnt really want to buy a pack of foamies but ah well,

gotata say though, the e4's sound flippin amazing! the clarity and sweet sound is just so good.

i hope the e4's will be my biggest purchase and i hope i dont get hooked on cans next

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran
...i hope the e4's will be my biggest purchase and i hope i dont get hooked on cans next

lol, good luck. If no one gave you the appropriate greeting, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

If you can manage, get out now. By staying, I guarantee the e4's will be a drop in the bucket. Don't say I didn't warn you....
rs1smile.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 25
hahahaha. could i be one to change that.

but then again when i found out about this forum, i didnt know nothing about headphones but when i read about the e3's, i was going to jump at the chance to own a pair. then came june/july when the e4's were anounced, my budget streched for them due to bass response being improved and the pure fact that they look really good.

only reason for going down the IEM root was because of their discreatness out in public.

full size cans cant happen for me, but then again i thought id never put anything in my ears just to hear music.lol.

thanks for the welcome, i havent been much of a contributor to the forum due to the pure fact that i dont know my octave from my sound stage.

im still concerned about volume levels which i use though. sometimes i use 20/40 on my iaudio m3. before i baught the e4's i was expecting to have the volume of these things around 10. either im deaf from all my mates cars with their stupidly loud sound systems or the e4's arnt as far in as they aught to be.hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back