IEM...narrowing it down with your opinions!
Sep 2, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

johnb4467

New Head-Fier
Hey there all,

Well I'm new here, and am fairly new to the IEM scene. I tend to prefer full-sized speakers or full-sized cans when the situations can allow, but in a work environment obviously these types of conveniences are not afforded...
...currently I'm working in an environment where everyone pretty much goes about their own work at their desks, though we're in fairly tight quarters/rows. For a couple years now I've gone through a couple pairs of Sony IEM's (I can't tell the exact model...they're all faded away!)...one got stolen but was starting to break apart due to wear & tear, and my current pair are on their last days -- copper wires showing, wires cut, etc!

Anyway, I'm in the process of searching for replacements, and want to take a better route in sound quality this time around. I have things overall narrowed down to a few pairs, but I'll list what I'm looking for in particular, and hopefully you guys can guide me down the right path.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've done a lot of reading, but am having a very tough time making a decision.

As general things, I'm looking to spend no more than ~$120 max. I have a pair of Grado SR-80's that were $99, and I think I'd feel guilty spending much more than the aforementioned price on tiny in-ear phones when my full-sized Grado's were less. But, then again...there are things about the Grado's I do not love, namely comfort (a biggie), and them being a little tame on the low-end (I suppose I like things a little heavy on the low-end, and tend to enjoy things in the highs a little bright as well...I'm not as concerned about the phones being 'absolutely neutral', and adjusting from there, as a lot of my listening will be, at least initally, through a 2nd gen ipod shuffle -- which has NO eq settings whatsoever...so it's pretty much TRULY plug-n-play with what the phones natively provide.
Also important to consider, is that the phones need to be easily driven, as I doubt the shuffle really belts out a lot of juice.....
wink.gif

It seems like my ideal choices (though I'm open to suggestions), are:
Shure e2c's
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's
and the Etymotic ER-6's (or 6i's)

Pretty much, this is what I'm looking for, in order of (for the most part) importance:

AA) Ok, so this isn't a number, since I thought of it later...but it's important! Whatever I get, like I think I mentioned briefly above, they need to be able to be driven by a portable player without problem. An ipod Shuffle (for now) -- no headphone amp or anything of that sort. Just thought I'd re-emphasize that.
smily_headphones1.gif

1) DURABILITY. They need to be able to handle daily transport & use. Like I mentioned above, I've gone through two pairs of Sony IEM in the last 2-3 years (and I'm on my second pair of Grado SR-80's). Main use will mostly be in a computer/desk environment (so it's not overly hard on them)...BUT, I've always just stuffed my phones in my pocket, so they do get some wear-and-tear during transport, though I may be up for using a carrying case if they come with one (which it seems they usually do)...but durability is a big thing. It looks like the super.fi's are able to swap out cords, which may be a big plus for long-term durability...though I have no idea how much that costs, and if a particular pair seems like they're going to last anyway...then that doesn't really matter.
smily_headphones1.gif

2) COMFORT AND ISOLATION. Phones can sound amazing...but if I can't handle wearing them, then that's no good! Also, if they're bothering my coworkers with leaked sound, that's also a no-go! I'm often wearing my phones all day long, and it sounds like some of the Shure models are a bit less-than-ideal in comfort. Crazy-ridiculous adjustments needed to get things setup is also less-than-ideal...I need to really just be able to get to work, and take them out without much hassle when I'm getting feedback or need to interact with coworkers. As far as confort, it sounds like the ER-6's tend to be favored in that arena. I think most IEM are pretty isolated...but then again, it's so important that it's definitely worth mentioning, as my current pair of Sony's, while in-ear and have a tight seal, do leak sound that co-workers have joked about before (but others may be annoyed by). The Shure's by nature sound like they're engineered to be really isolated.

As a sidenote, some of these phones look pretty funky. If one of the models look less from "another planet", that may be somewhat of a plus...though not a deal maker-or-breaker...just a "plus".
wink.gif
I may work in a geek-based industry (visual effects)...but that doesn't mean my phones need to emphasize that any more than absolutely necessary!
biggrin.gif

3) SOUND QUALITY. Obviously, I'd like the phones to sound good! Sound is definitely a personal preference, one that people seem to argue over "which is better" a lot, but objectively, hopefully you can steer me toward what model tends to veer towards better as far as what they naturally "specialize" in. Like I mentioned, I do like my bass, which the Ety's (at least from what I read), are a little lighter on. The Shure's may be better in this area, but then again, it sounds like the abovementioend Super.fi's are best in this area? But then again, I also don't want to sacrifice to heavily those beautiful highs. I guess I'm looking for the best all around, with bass a little more important than the super-highs. For reference (if you're familiar with them), my Grado SR-80's, while I LOVE their all-around performance, don't really satisfy my bass cravings...though wonderful cans overall!

Ok folks, I think that's the really important stuff. I may have forgotten some things, but it's after 1am in the morning & I'm feeling a little loopy.
wink.gif

I do very much appreciate you all taking the time to read all the way through this, and hope you will be able to help guide me in the right direction. I'd really love to order a pair soon, as my Sony's are looking so beat up that it's almost embarrassing! And, truth be told, I'm simply excited to have better sound in my daily work-life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Talk to you all soon...thank you again!!

John

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 14
I would not buy the Shure E2c (which I did own at one point). You would like the sound, I think, which is dense and musical (though very undetailed compared with every other phone I've had), but the cord failure rate is high relative to other phones. I think the thick cord puts too much stress at the phone/cord junction, and so that seems to be where they fail for everyone. If you search, you'll find a lot of complaints about that.

I liked my ER6s, but I don't think you would. They were more durable than the Shures (the cord looks fragile, but mine took a whole lot of more abuse before they broke, because there aren't any weak links in the cord-phone chain), but you won't like the sound, which is bright and bass-shy.

Friends who've bought the ER6i, which has more bass than the plain ER6 like them, but when I heard them, they were closer to the ER6 than to the E2C--sort of the cheap version of my ER4P.

I don't have any experience with the UE Super.fi 3.

My ER4Ps sound very, very similar--nearly identical--to my SR80s, lacking only a bit of air and musicality, which I think is inevitable comparing open phones with IEMs. I like both, but since you want more bass, I don't think the ER4P is for you either, if you don't want an IEM version of the SR80.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 14
MDARNTON, thank you so much for your honsety; if none of the mentioned IEM's are likely to fit my wants/tastes...it's good to know that I should at least start looking at other models, though the ER4P's don't sound bad at all...getting to the general quality level of the Grado SR-80's is fairly impressive. You assumed correctly that I still might be left wanting a bit in the bass region with them, but overall that's not too bad of a thing overall. Then again though, it looks like the ER4P's are quite a bit above what I'm looking to spend on a pair of IEM's...still...it's good to know about them.
wink.gif

So it looks like overall the E2C's and the ER-6's might not be what I'm looking for...anyone around here have/tried the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's and think they might fit what I'm looking for?

I'm also open to other makes/models...
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnb4467 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there all,

Well I'm new here, and am fairly new to the IEM scene. I tend to prefer full-sized speakers or full-sized cans when the situations can allow, but in a work environment obviously these types of conveniences are not afforded...
...currently I'm working in an environment where everyone pretty much goes about their own work at their desks, though we're in fairly tight quarters/rows. For a couple years now I've gone through a couple pairs of Sony IEM's (I can't tell the exact model...they're all faded away!)...one got stolen but was starting to break apart due to wear & tear, and my current pair are on their last days -- copper wires showing, wires cut, etc!

Anyway, I'm in the process of searching for replacements, and want to take a better route in sound quality this time around. I have things overall narrowed down to a few pairs, but I'll list what I'm looking for in particular, and hopefully you guys can guide me down the right path.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've done a lot of reading, but am having a very tough time making a decision.

As general things, I'm looking to spend no more than ~$120 max. I have a pair of Grado SR-80's that were $99, and I think I'd feel guilty spending much more than the aforementioned price on tiny in-ear phones when my full-sized Grado's were less. But, then again...there are things about the Grado's I do not love, namely comfort (a biggie), and them being a little tame on the low-end (I suppose I like things a little heavy on the low-end, and tend to enjoy things in the highs a little bright as well...I'm not as concerned about the phones being 'absolutely neutral', and adjusting from there, as a lot of my listening will be, at least initally, through a 2nd gen ipod shuffle -- which has NO eq settings whatsoever...so it's pretty much TRULY plug-n-play with what the phones natively provide.
Also important to consider, is that the phones need to be easily driven, as I doubt the shuffle really belts out a lot of juice.....
wink.gif

It seems like my ideal choices (though I'm open to suggestions), are:
Shure e2c's
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's
and the Etymotic ER-6's (or 6i's)

Pretty much, this is what I'm looking for, in order of (for the most part) importance:

AA) Ok, so this isn't a number, since I thought of it later...but it's important! Whatever I get, like I think I mentioned briefly above, they need to be able to be driven by a portable player without problem. An ipod Shuffle (for now) -- no headphone amp or anything of that sort. Just thought I'd re-emphasize that.
smily_headphones1.gif

1) DURABILITY. They need to be able to handle daily transport & use. Like I mentioned above, I've gone through two pairs of Sony IEM in the last 2-3 years (and I'm on my second pair of Grado SR-80's). Main use will mostly be in a computer/desk environment (so it's not overly hard on them)...BUT, I've always just stuffed my phones in my pocket, so they do get some wear-and-tear during transport, though I may be up for using a carrying case if they come with one (which it seems they usually do)...but durability is a big thing. It looks like the super.fi's are able to swap out cords, which may be a big plus for long-term durability...though I have no idea how much that costs, and if a particular pair seems like they're going to last anyway...then that doesn't really matter.
smily_headphones1.gif

2) COMFORT AND ISOLATION. Phones can sound amazing...but if I can't handle wearing them, then that's no good! Also, if they're bothering my coworkers with leaked sound, that's also a no-go! I'm often wearing my phones all day long, and it sounds like some of the Shure models are a bit less-than-ideal in comfort. Crazy-ridiculous adjustments needed to get things setup is also less-than-ideal...I need to really just be able to get to work, and take them out without much hassle when I'm getting feedback or need to interact with coworkers. As far as confort, it sounds like the ER-6's tend to be favored in that arena. I think most IEM are pretty isolated...but then again, it's so important that it's definitely worth mentioning, as my current pair of Sony's, while in-ear and have a tight seal, do leak sound that co-workers have joked about before (but others may be annoyed by). The Shure's by nature sound like they're engineered to be really isolated.

As a sidenote, some of these phones look pretty funky. If one of the models look less from "another planet", that may be somewhat of a plus...though not a deal maker-or-breaker...just a "plus".
wink.gif
I may work in a geek-based industry (visual effects)...but that doesn't mean my phones need to emphasize that any more than absolutely necessary!
biggrin.gif

3) SOUND QUALITY. Obviously, I'd like the phones to sound good! Sound is definitely a personal preference, one that people seem to argue over "which is better" a lot, but objectively, hopefully you can steer me toward what model tends to veer towards better as far as what they naturally "specialize" in. Like I mentioned, I do like my bass, which the Ety's (at least from what I read), are a little lighter on. The Shure's may be better in this area, but then again, it sounds like the abovementioend Super.fi's are best in this area? But then again, I also don't want to sacrifice to heavily those beautiful highs. I guess I'm looking for the best all around, with bass a little more important than the super-highs. For reference (if you're familiar with them), my Grado SR-80's, while I LOVE their all-around performance, don't really satisfy my bass cravings...though wonderful cans overall!

Ok folks, I think that's the really important stuff. I may have forgotten some things, but it's after 1am in the morning & I'm feeling a little loopy.
wink.gif

I do very much appreciate you all taking the time to read all the way through this, and hope you will be able to help guide me in the right direction. I'd really love to order a pair soon, as my Sony's are looking so beat up that it's almost embarrassing! And, truth be told, I'm simply excited to have better sound in my daily work-life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Talk to you all soon...thank you again!!

John

Hi!
One option you could look into are the Atrio M5( in black) or the M8 (in blue). I choose the M8 for the color and because they are really funky looking. These are professionnal IEMs used in the musical industry.

The sound is very rich, round and amazing.

They come with a carrying case...

There is also a thread(rather long) about them on Head-Fi .

regards

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 14
eggosmile.gif
Sounds like you may be jumpin' in the name game bandwagon.

For (at least) half the price of the "name" IEMs, you may want to research the Mylar series from Crossroads. In your initial exploration of IEMs.

I own most of the middle of the road "name" IEMs and presently prefer the Mylar1 XB. They are (IMHO) stellar.
plainface.gif

MTC. Y(M/K)MV.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 14
You can grab SF5 Pros for ~130 if you shop around online (I think I saw some for 126 on amazon a little while ago), which are a step up from the SF3s... a little bassy, but still very nice IEMs

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Have you thought about trying a pair of Yuin PK2's (or even 1's)? They don't isolate, but I don't find that they leak much either. Their sound is great and they are pretty comfortable.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Thank you so much for the input, everyone!

Well it looks like there's quite a few of you recommending the Super Fi Pros, the 5's in particular. I will definitely start looking into them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, a few of you mentioned non-'mainstream' brands. I'm completely open to that...the only reason I mentioned the ones I did is simply because I was able to find information about them. Grado's certainly aren't mainstream in that you wouldn't find them on store shelves, but I absolutely love my SR-80's (though, like I said, I could use a bit more bass).

Is there any ways you would describe the sound of the recommended Yuin's (PK2's or 1's) and Mylar's?

If I go with the Super Fi's, would I be correct in saying that it seems like the majority of you would think I'd be pretty pleased with them?

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 14
I went from a pair of Shure E2s to the Super.fi 5 Pros and haven't looked back. Right now you can get them for a decent price and they do sound great.

Between the Yuin and 5pros, you're dealing with two very different types of headphones. Ones an IEM, and the other is an earbud, so it depends on what you're looking for. I enjoy the isolation of an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back