IEM musicians
Dec 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in IEMs for playing live or practicing with a band. This way I can isolate the sound but still get good quality sound. I am wondering what happens with IEMs... where do you plug them in? there must be a wireless box of some kind? and than where do they go? right now I just have myself, my guitar and my amp, so I am not sure how I would go about hooking up IEMs to my sound, if i got them. Please explain? thanks!

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 4
well your guitar would be hooked into your amp as usual and the amp hooked into the mixer. and instead of foldback you would have your wireless box being transmitted to by the mixer with whatever sub-mix or the whole mix. i'm not sure of the pro-wireless systems other than the ones by sensephonics which allow you to mix a certain amount of the ambient noise in as well so you could have your guitar track being transmitted to you from the mixer (or direct from the amp) and also be able to hear cues from the singer, drummer or whatever. sorry I dont know more about specific brands of the wireess gear. but for the IEM's in your situation I would go full custom moulded for better isolation and fit. the brands to look for are ultimate ears and in these I would go the UE7 or UE10 or westone and since you arent a singer I would go the ES2 hope fully someone else chimes in with some more info on the wireless gear. sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 4
If you're just starting out, probably go for some musicians earplugs (eg Etymotic ER-20 for universal or ER-15/25 for custom fit). I figure that you use a guitar amp which may be miked during gigs.

Setting up an in-ear-monitor system is a bit expensive if you want it to be wireless (and even if it's not) so maybe stick with the traditional foldback techniques until you get yourselves established.

For any IEM system, you need a submix (either direct from the mixing desk or from a separate mixer).

For a wired IEM system, you connect this submix to a headphone amplifier/limiter which you plug your IEMs into.
For a wireless IEM system, connect the submix into the wireless transmitter, and connect your IEMs to the receiver beltpack.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back