IEM Lightning connector Reccomendation
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Luhaine

Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi,

I’ve recently picked up an Iphone 8 plus. As I’m sure you’re all aware this now means I’m without the old and trusted 3.5mm connection.

I thought to overcome this hurdle by acquiring a lightning to USB3 kit and combining that with a dragonfly red in order to keep using my current IEM, the ATH-IM04.

Unfortunatly I’m not satisfied with the extra baggage this entails. The sound quality overall is fine (with the exception of an occasional click if no output is provided) but the extra clunkyness is not. It also feels like there is additional drain on the battery of the phone.

I’ve looked into other phones with a 3.5mm connection such as the LG V30. However, I have a use case for the iphone that can’t be realised with any other phone. The option for my blind girlfriend to utilize my phone as a backup in case of an emergency. Siri in combination with the quality of the voice over functionality can’t be found anywhere else.

In the past I have had a Cowon Plenue D, and the additional hassle of having two devices to carry with me quickly made me leave it at home. This was before I had to drag along an additional phone with me for work. So that made me cross out a dedicated DAP as an option.

Due to all of the above I’ve been looking into alternatives. It didn’t take me long to cross off bluetooth options based on the reviews and opinions, on this and other fora. So now I’ve been looking into IEM’s that either come with a lightning cable or for which one can be aquired aftermarket and are comparable or better then the IM04.

So far I’ve found out that Noble, Audeze (iSine) and Shure provide options for lightning cables. These brands are available where I live, Europe. Though some are more difficult to purchase let alone audition. I also have read a lot of negative things about quality of the lightning cable that Shure sells.

I enjoy the sound signature of the IM04, however I enjoy that of the Meze 99 classics more. To me a warm, musical sound with solid bass and good vocals would be ideal. I listen to a variety of music and artists such as Macklemore, Dire Straits, Hardwell and Disturbed. Considering this, a good allrounder would seem like the way to go.

I would prefer not to spend more the 1.000 euro’s for the IEM and cable. If it can be done cheaper all the better. Does anybody have any reccomendations based on all of the above?

Kind regards,

Luhaine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back