IEM & itchy ear
Aug 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

robert

500+ Head-Fier
I do like the sound of my ER-4S, but with either the flanges or foamies, my ears start to itch after a while.

There have been some msgs. about the JH-13 being really good. But, I wonder whether mold based IEMs are immune to that? If so, another justification for spending all that $$$.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 12
You could try Shure Olives or Complys; I find that they itch the least out of any of the universal tips I've tried.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 12
My inner ears get itchy too when I used IEMs, then I got an ear infection one year. I had to cut down usage by a lot after that.

Then I discovered open ear headphones - problem solved!
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I stopped listening to phones and switched back to speakers my ears problems stopped too.

Now that's really helpful
confused_face(1).gif

Or, it could mean K-1000.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 12
I got the same problem too, it wasn't even with IEMs but just with earbuds. What you need to do is disinfect them regularly, like every day for my case. Basically after every used.

I got tired of cleaning them and just went full size instead.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 12
You can also use alcohol dipped q-tips on, and partially in your ears. This helps remove the gunk/oil accumulating on your ears.

I recommend doing the alco-tips right after a shower, it softens the 'gunk' up.

***WARNING***
Be careful on how far you're reaching inside your canals--just don't overdue & use common sense.
***WARNING***

Doing this on a regular basis also helps preserve the IEM tips and keeps ear canal discomfort to a minimum.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 12
I use a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide to clean my IEMs and to gently clean the inside of my ears. DO NOT force ANYTHING into your ear. A quick wipe with said q-tip in your ear is more than enough.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 12
You might want to visit an audiologist. They sell an oil/ointment called Aura something. It is made to reduce the itch associated with hearing aids and does the same with IEMs. If you have baby oil in the house, you might want to try that. One reason for the itch is that your ear is too clean and too dry. Good luck.

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to visit an audiologist. They sell an oil/ointment called Aura something. It is made to reduce the itch associated with hearing aids and does the same with IEMs. If you have baby oil in the house, you might want to try that. One reason for the itch is that your ear is too clean and too dry. Good luck.

Now, that's useful.

thanks.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Headphones cause itchy ears too. The working of the inner ear causes cerumen(earwax) to be produced as a lubricant. Also, different races produce different earwax. Asians produce a powdery drier earwax than Caucasians for instance. I looked up some of these things because of how much my ears itched after headphone use and I noticed higher earwax production. I don't use IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back