[IEM] Is AGK-N20 a good alternative/upgrade to Sennheiser CX 5.00
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Grafiker

New Head-Fier
I enjoyed using Sennheiser CX 5.00, but I had to return them after a while because the wire got teared. Moreover, I didn't like the 90°-shaped plug because the earphones got pulled off more easily than with straight ones (my phone has a top jack).
So now I'm looking for alternatives to Sennheiser with similar sound signature. Here are my criteria:
  1. Good noise and wind isolation when I use Comply tips
  2. Android-compatible inline remote with volume buttons
  3. Straight-shaped plug
  4. Designed to wear the buds straight down
  5. Sound signature similar to CX 5.00. My music taste varies from acoustic pop to dance/EDM and usually listen through Spotify.
  6. Up to €150

1More was already suggested to me, but I prefer to buy earphones from shops based in my country. Now I'm leaning towards AKG-N20 (another option was Focal Sphear, but having no volume buttons was a dealbreaker for me).

So my question is: has anyone tried both CX 5.00 and N20 and can tell me the differences between them?

Also, does anyone have experience with Samsung EO-IA510?

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 6
  I enjoyed using Sennheiser CX 5.00, but I had to return them after a while because the wire showed tears. Moreover, I didn't like the 90°-shaped jack.
So now I'm looking for alternatives to Sennheiser with similar sound signature. Here are my criteria:
  1. Good noise and wind isolation when I use Comply tips
  2. Android-compatible inline remote with volume buttons
  3. Straight-shaped jack
  4. Designed to wear the buds straight down
  5. Sound signature similar to CX 5.00. My music taste varies from acoustic pop to dance/EDM.
  6. Up to €150

1More was already suggested to me, but I prefer to buy earphones from shops based in my country. Now I'm leaning towards AKG-N20 (another option was Focal Sphear, but having no volume buttons was a dealbreaker for me).

So my question is: does anyone have a comparison between CX 5.00 and N20?

Also, does anyone have experience with Samsung EO-IA510?

You might check out and read about the Beyerdynamic Byron and the SoundMAGIC E10C. It's possible one of those two could work for you. I have not heard the CX5.00, so I can't comment on it, sorry.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 6
@serman005 Thanks, but both have an angled plug, which didn't work for me as I carry my top-jacked phone straight down usually and not in my pocket. While old E10 of SoundMAGIC appears to have a straight jack, it doesn't have Android-compatible volume remote.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 6
@Grafiker - I'll post my response to your PM here.

Out of the two, I actually preferred the CX5.00. This wasn't because the CX5.00 was the better IEM from a technical point of view, but because to my ears it had the better balance for what I tend to listen to. I found the treble on the N20 to be too strident, making vocals a tad thin, and making them fatiguing when listening to some electronic genres.

The N20 definitely has a more detailed presentation, and one that I feel would possibly be better suited to classical, or acoustic music. With rock, pop and electronica I found then to be too forward in the upper registers - this, however, is really a case personal choice and taste.

Unfortunately I'm no longer able to compare them directly as the left driver in the N20 failed shortly after purchase, and I never got around to returning them.

I'm not that much of a lover of IEMs in general, choosing only to use them when the weather is too hot for headphones. For that purpose I've now settled on the RHA T20i as they can cover virtually all genres well with judicious use of the supplied bass, reference, and treble filters. If your budget stretches to a couple of hundred bucks then these are well worth putting on your shortlist.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 6
@Slaphead
: thank you for your reply! What were your experiences about wearing comfort and ease of insertion?
And had you listened with N20 with foam tips as well?

Well they're IEMs - I've never really noticed a difference in comfort between any that I've used, except when I've attempted to use foam tips - they are the work of the devil.

That's just me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back