IEM imbalance
May 14, 2007 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dbng

New Head-Fier
I started out with the comply tips on my UM2s and had problems getting a good seal. Also, besides the normal separation I noticed that the bass was primarily in my right ear. So I tried the yellow foamies and now I have more bass but it's still stronger in my right ear. I've ordered the large black foamies - we'll see if that helps.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone using mismatched tips?

I have a sinking feeling that I see custom tips in my future....

May 14, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Visit the audiologist.

Hear loss atsome frequencies is more likely your problem.

A good suggestion. In the meantime, I'll try running tones in each ear separately to see if there's some difference.

Still I don notice the same imbalance with other headphones (non-IEM). And when I move my jaw around I can feel the seal break on the left much more easily.

May 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 5
The complys shouldn't be giving you a fit issue. They're typically the best option for a seal. Maybe you have really big ear canals; long complys or the large-size Shure black foams might solve your problems.

May 14, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 5
I thought the drivers of my Grados were imbalanced once, but I later noticed that the problem was consistent across all headphones so I feared it was a hearing issue. Years later I got tested and, lo and behold, the hearing in my left ear is pretty wonky -- probably from scar tissue due to a really bad ear infection I had once, that ruptured my eardrum. Your brain adjusts to this over time of course, and nowadays I don't really ever notice any difference in the response of my ears, even when I'm mixing.

People sometimes forget that our brains, not our ears, are the most important component in the chain, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back