IEM Help
Jun 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know you've probably heard this sort of thing before, but I need some IEM's for use on public transport/walking/gym/lying in bed and whatever else.

I need them to be durable and come from a company with good customer service for me here in the UK (I'm sick of returning broken headphones and waiting for weeks for a new set).

I listen to alot of different music, mainly Hip-hop, metal, rock, dance, electronica etc. I want something thats provides detailed highs, good strong mids and powerful but not overpowering or muddy bass. I fear that because I have used CX300's (don't laugh) for a year that an IEM without much bass will not sound good. My source is a 5.5G iPod video, and I am not currently use or do not plan to use an amp in the near future.

From poking around on Head-Fi over the past few months, I've learned what headphones are usually reccomended.

I should mention now that my budget is around £75/$150 (with delivery to the UK if orderred elsewhere) tops.

I'm interested in the following:

Westone UM1: Heard they're very comfortable, but not heard much about SQ, durability, but the cost is good.

Etymotic ER-6i: Heard that SQ is very good for price, but lacking in bass?

Shure SE210: Originally liked the looks of Shure poriducts, but it seems their lower end offerings are costly and dissapointing from reading around.

UE SF3: Good SQ, good for rock, but again lacking in bass, and heard that its worth saving up for the 5's, but I stress my budget is fixed.

d-Jays: Not heard much, but they get reccomended alot.

Head Direct somethingorother: Also get reccomended alot, but not sure about customner services, build quality and delivery to UK because they're a small company, plus they don't look too nice.

Dennon CH-551: Good bass, good cost.

I must stress these are all assumptions from what I have learned on Head Fi.

Any reccomendations, guys?

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 15
Try UM1, How much is it? $ 95?
the comfort is one of the most import things for long time wearing(2 hrs+)
it sounded good without any comparison to some other IEMs which will cost more money.
it is very musical without leanness, mids is warm and highs is clear. Some people may think the bass is bit muddy while the others love it.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 15
yeah, i'm tempted by the UM1's. Its just getting them for a good price in the UK. Anyone from the uk ordered from earphonesolutions.com. I know they deliver ten here but it says that customs is all upto the buyer, meaning i could end up with another £20 slapped on. Anyone know much about this?

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 15
I used to get a pair of TF.10 from earphonesolutions.com. They are good with custom services and prices as well.

If there is anything wrong, just contact Westone for solutions with the receipt issued by earphonessolutions.com.

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks.
You mean get back to westone about the customs charges, or just generally any problems with the headphones?

Another thing tempting me now are CX500's that I can get for £39.99 from play.com. They should be simillar to be CX300's which I've found comfortable, and durable too. Can't find many decent reviews around though, and I haven't heard many people on Head-Fi mention them.

Worth it, do you think?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 15
It depends, if needs repair go Westone otherwise talk to the retailer.
Considering my past experiences, getting the response for information from Earsolutions costs less time. If they can they are always happy to help. (such as wearing, sealing, refound)
Also, UM1's are not only good for sq but also the quality which needs less worries. I heard quite few complaints about it.
good luck dude

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 15
Have you considered Audio Technica CK7? They certainly have a very nice bass & good clear treble.

I think they're about £70 in the UK. Or you can buy mine
biggrin.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 15
I did look at them, but I seemingly discarded them from my list because they weren't much to look at, which is rather unfair of me.

What are the details on yours, e.g. age, package contents, price?

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Their titanium body is rather good-looking (to me), and the build quality is excellent.

I'll PM you re mine. No pressure tho - just an idea (& a bit of cheek)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 15
I got the Denon AH-C551 and the Super.fi 3. I like the Denon for the bass, but Super.fi 3's has more detail. I think you should get the UM1 or SE210. They're the most higher priced one's.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 15
Shure feels violating at times. Westone has no problems with that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back