IEM Help
Jan 31, 2006 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amplitude

New Head-Fier
After spending way too much time reading over these forums in the last week, Ive finally decided against buying an expensive player to use with my KSC-75s and instead go with a cheaper player (iAudio U2) with some better headphones.

Even though I am a complete music addict, I am new to the world of expensive equipment and I've never used an IEM before, but they seem to be a perfect fit for my active (and travel-heavy) lifestyle. After some research I have come down to two choices: UM1s and UE Super.fi 5Pros. I know these are in different prce classes, Im not sure if the Pros are worth the extra $100 or if they are even really right for me.

I listen to literally all kinds of music, and enjoy warmer sounding headphones that aren't tiring to listen to. Comfort and ease of use are a BIG deal for me, I will be putting them in and taking them out fairly regularly. Since I am new to IEMs it might be nice to go with ones that are slightly less invasive. Also, I will not be using an amp.

So in the end, are the Super.fi 5Pros really $100 better than the UM1s for me? (I am by no means rich)

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 6
Though I don't own either one of those, I can make a generalization from my experience with the superfi-style earphones.

That is, they are not easy to take out or put in. The ear loop is comfortable, but at the same time is difficult to use, especially if you have long "beatles style" hair like I do. It tends to snag and pull on your hair.

I have no experience with the westones, but by the looks of them they are much easier to insert or take out.

The UEsuper.fi 5s are dual driver, which is another thing to consider.

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 6
i have um1's and after getting used to putting them in without looking in the mirror, i can put them in within a few seconds (i'm using the shure triflanges modified to biflange). i imagine if you use the comply tips, it'll take a bit longer, cuz you have to wait for the foam to expand. and comfort isn't a problem for me. i've been wearing these iem's for hours at a time the last few days and don't really notice them.

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 6
I have X5.

I originally purchased the E2c. Didn't like those.

Then, after reading this forum, bought the super.fi 3s. they were so much better but I got hungry. I upgraded after I sent the 3s back to the 5 pros. They are the absolute BEST phones I've ever had! Fantastic. Perfect bass response (which the 3s and the 2cs lacked). I got a price match from earphonesolutions to 188 shipped. These guys are great. Ordered Sunday and received for my pleasure on Wed. I HIGHLY recommend.

They are the most comfortable I have ever had and will never try another.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Apparently, Comply foam tips insert farther into the ear than Shure or Etymotic "regular" foamies. I know that with my E3Cs and ER-6s, the regular foamies are less intrusive feeling (for me, anyway). But I doubt that the Comply tips would be much of a problem unless you have some kind of foam allergy.

Also, I've read that the UEs are a little bigger and less low-profile than the Westones (i.e., they stick out of the ear just a little bit), if that's a factor for you. They're supposed to sound great, though.

By the way, the Cowon player with any good 'phones should sound really nice ... enjoy whatever you get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back