IEM Help Please!
Mar 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrTissues

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some IEM's that sound good for around $100. I wouldn't use them too much. Only when I don't feel like taking my Grados around with me or can't listen to them b/c of the sound leaking. I don't really know anything about IEMs, any help?

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 4
If you have Grados, you've got some big shoes to fill. Westone 3, Shure 530s, q-Jays and the Phonak PFEs are high end IEMs. I'm partial to Grados myself. I own an SR80 and I don't think most IEMs can compete with them in terms of sound quality....in a quiet room. However, since IEMs isolate outside noise and most listening of music occurs when there is outside noise, IEMs offer a superior sound quality because they block out distractions.

I own the q-Jays and they sound sweet, however, they're average in terms of sound isolation and I've heard they have sibilance issues. Never heard anything bad about SE530s.

Here are four things that you need to consider:
1. Sound Quality
2. Comfort (this is an important issue therefore, I would suggest buying your phones from an authorized dealer that has generous return policy.)
3 Degree of Noise isolation.
4. Price - most of these will put a hole in your wallet. Unless you're some rich guy in which case you should be partying on your yacht with hot women instead of listening to music on your headphones.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegatronRx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have Grados, you've got some big shoes to fill. Westone 3, Shure 530s, q-Jays and the Phonak PFEs are high end IEMs. I'm partial to Grados myself. I own an SR80 and I don't think most IEMs can compete with them in terms of sound quality....in a quiet room. However, since IEMs isolate outside noise and most listening of music occurs when there is outside noise, IEMs offer a superior sound quality because they block out distractions.

I own the q-Jays and they sound sweet, however, they're average in terms of sound isolation and I've heard they have sibilance issues. Never heard anything bad about SE530s.

Here are four things that you need to consider:
1. Sound Quality
2. Comfort (this is an important issue therefore, I would suggest buying your phones from an authorized dealer that has generous return policy.)
3 Degree of Noise isolation.
4. Price - most of these will put a hole in your wallet. Unless you're some rich guy in which case you should be partying on your yacht with hot women instead of listening to music on your headphones.

I agree. Although full sized cans sound better than IEMs, you have the advantage of sound isolation that will make IEMs>Cans in certain situations.

I would say to get the Audeo PFEs. I have them and they are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back