IEM Help: Need suggestions and input

Which IEMs are the most analytical or balanced?

• Echobox Finder X1 - Closed - Dynamic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RHA T20i - Closed - Dynamic

• AAW Nebula Two - Semi-Open - Hybrid

• AAW Nebula Q - Closed - Dynamic

• V-Moda ZN - Closed - Dynamic

• Etymotic ER4/HF - Closed - Dynamic

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

• DUNU DN-2000J

• DUNU Titan 3

• Total voters
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nik52

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a new pair of IEMs. I just had a driver break on my old pair of headphones.

I'll be driving my music with mostly FLAC files through PowerAMP on an HTC M8. I'll be buying a new DAC/AMP at a later date but that's not relevant - I don't have a pair of usable headphones right now where each side's drivers work.

I prefer an analytical or neutral sound. I do not care for overlyhyped bass, whatsoever. I listen to Rap/Hip Hop, Rock/Metal, Alternative, Jazz, Blues, Classical, etc.

My price range is around $200 CAD but could be bumped a litle bit.

The headphones I'm looking at are:
• Echobox Finder X1
• RHA T20/i
• AAW Nebula 2
• AAW Q
• V-Moda ZN

Thoughts and recommendations?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 7
I like the Finder X1 and the T20i quite well. Both are really solid and I would personally consider them to be of roughly comparable sound quality overall. Just my take. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 7
I like the Finder X1 and the T20i quite well. Both are really solid and I would personally consider them to be of roughly comparable sound quality overall. Just my take. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

I've heard really good things about both of them. And then AAW as well, but I really don't know much about AAW. It seams like the Q might be one to consider.

I liked how the V-Moda's apparantly measure at +/- 2dB but I haven't read promising reviews. I think I've eliminated them as a choice for now.

Still hunting, hopefully I can have a few more people chime in.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 7
I really like my X1's they have great detail and instrument separation and good soundstage to me. I only use them with Comply tips it is said they can be too bright for some with other tips but I can't find any other tip I get a good seal with so don't know.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 7
So far I've read amazing things about the AAW Nebula Two but it has a semi-open design which might not be great in terms of isolation and leakage. I need to do more research, or I'd probably lean to this IEM. But it may be the Finder X1 because of the closed-back design. The AAW Q still has a alittle vent too..

I like the combination of the Nebula Two's Dynamic and BA driver over the single dynamic driver approach of the other two but that semi-open design is bothersome. If I were to listen to the Nebula Twos out in public, would other people be able to hear them at a audible level due to the semi-open design? And would tons of external noise come through?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 7
I figure if we're including the etymotic ER4 it's only fair to include the DUNU DN-2000J as it's at nearly the same price point. However this certaintly gets interesting as the DUNU DN-2000J has a hybrid setup with a dynamic driver and two BA drivers. It also measures +/- 2dB according to their site which is impressive given the reviews it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back