IEM - help me find the right one!
Apr 10, 2012 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

flagpole

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I am looking for an IEM between 70-150 USD.
The sound-signature I am looking for is a bit dark - I really hate sibilance in the highs and find myself pretty sensitive to that. Right now I am using the Apple In-ear headphones but I've grown tired of the lack of bass in them. However, I don't want the biggest bass around, since I like a fairly balanced sound. 
I listen to everything from indie, hip hop and house to rock, metal and hardcore etc. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 17
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Also, check out joker's thread where he reviewed and compared 200+ IEMs. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi.  You are going to find many good options and recommendations for what you are looking for in your price range from many.  [size=10pt]Defiantly check out Jokers review thread for detailed information on alot of IEM's in this price range below.  You might find the Moster Turbines to your liking which is at the lower end of your prices range ($75 @ Amazon).  I listened to a pair of burned in ones that a friend of mine owns and they have some / most of the quailites that you are looking for albet they may be a bit bass heavy for what you are looking for.  No sibilance in sight on these either.  Higher up on your range you might enjoy the UE TF10's.  I havn't had the chance to audition these personally but from what I have read they kick lots of ***** for the price if you can handle the large fit.[/size]

[size=10pt][size=x-small]http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12[/size][/size]

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 17
IMO the Shure SE425 / 535 can be suitable, especially the 425 that has a high freq roll off (check out the freq response curve). It allows for mid and low freq sounds to be more prominent, and can reveal things you might not have heard before, especially when compared to earbuds that are sparkly in treble.
But note that these lean towards smoothness and are pretty unforgiving to some genres (those with emphasis on bass and treble).
On the plus side I find that I can listen to them for hours without experiencing any fatigue. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
IMO the Shure SE425 / 535 can be suitable, especially the 425 that has a high freq roll off (check out the freq response curve). It allows for mid and low freq sounds to be more prominent, and can reveal things you might not have heard before, especially when compared to earbuds that are sparkly in treble.
But note that these lean towards smoothness and are pretty unforgiving to some genres (those with emphasis on bass and treble).
On the plus side I find that I can listen to them for hours without experiencing any fatigue. 

But those are also waaay off the budget. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 17
My bad.
You might want to give the Etymotic HF5 a try. Similar characteristics to the Shures.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 17
Hmm.. I wouldn't suggest the HF5s, as they are somewhat the opposite to the dark sound signature OP asked. But nonetheless, the HF5 is a great IEM, if you are fine with the deep fit and lean and bright sound signature. 
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Hmm.. I wouldn't suggest the HF5s, as they are somewhat the opposite to the dark sound signature OP asked. But nonetheless, the HF5 is a great IEM, if you are fine with the deep fit and lean and bright sound signature. 
smile.gif

That's true, they are fairly bright... 

But another option could be the SE215. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Oh, thank you for all your replies! I really want some darker earphones like you mentioned above, since I work in a music studio with monitors and headphones that are really flat and harsh in the upper mids (don't get me wrong, I like to mix that way). So I want my listening-for-fun earphones to be a bit darker so I can rest my ears a bit :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Oh, thank you for all your replies! I really want some darker earphones like you mentioned above, since I work in a music studio with monitors and headphones that are really flat and harsh in the upper mids (don't get me wrong, I like to mix that way). So I want my listening-for-fun earphones to be a bit darker so I can rest my ears a bit :)

Look no further than the Atrio MG7!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back