IEM headphones help / recommendations
Aug 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

portaear

New Head-Fier
I have a few questions regarding IEMs (relative newcomer to IEMs of today):

1. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX70 that I bought 10 years ago... they sound really bassy / boomy on my Note 4 with Poweramp player, but not so much with iPhone or other devices.  I kind of like the bassy sound... what other IEMs around this price $50 - $70 have this similar quality these tdays?

2. Can anyone explain the SONY earphone lineage since the MDR-EX70 to me?  Trying to figure out what the logical successors to the MDR-EX70 are.  Sony has so many models and makes it's hard to make sense of it.

3. I have the MacaW GT100 on order from the recent massdrop deal.  This might be my first "high end" IEM since my MDR-EX70 from 10 years ago.  I normally run cheap earphones like the Monoprice 8320's, Meelectronics M9P's, etc.  For value to price, what other headphones / IEMs might be good to consider like the MacaW around $50 - $70?

4. I have been looking at the SoundMagic E80's just because it was mentioned in a comparison to the MacaW GT100.  I read that the E80 has high impedance, thus it might not be best without an amp?  I'll be using my IEM's mostly with iPhone or Android phone (Note 4), should I avoid the E80's in that case as it might have enough power to drive the E80's?

5. If my top-end budget is $100 - $130, what is the best IEM I can possibly get, as my "holy grail" earphone for serious music listening when I'm really wanting the best sound?  I listen to a lot of techno / chill (ATB, etc), freestyle (SymphoBreaks, Agun, etc), future pop (VNV nation, etc). I do like bass but I also want the guidance from more mature ears like you folks as well.

In terms of form factor I prefer IEM because they are so portable, and typically noise isolating, as opposed to over the head cans.  I also tend to prefer wired IEMs over bluetooth because I believe wires provide better sound, although I'm willing to be educated if I'm wrong on that... and I believe wired IEMs are cheaper / deliver better value as well.

Thanks in advance to those who reply & help.  As a relative newbie who has mostly purchases cheap (less than $20 / $10 earphones) your advice is greatly appreciated!

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the Soundmagic E50, which are the other new IEM in that Soundmagic line with similar sensitivity/impedance. Depending on your listening volume, you might want an amp, based on my experience.

Speaking of a bit of bass, the E50 might be a better choice if you would like an IEM with a bit more v-shaped sound.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh, and this IEM ranking list might help: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/. Click on a make/model name to access a full review.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Very nice!!  A list like that is very helpful.  I need to look more into the E50 and learn more about it.

If I were to get an amp, any recommendations as I have zero experiences with amps?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8
If you use an amp with your iPhone or Android, you'll be double-amping since those phones normally only have a headphone output and no line output. For a line output, some DAPs and DACs have it. Double-amping can create distortions in the sound.

E50, E80 have versions with a mic/remote and they're called E50S, E80S. Each of the four will come at least in red, black, but at this moment only E50, E80 are available, and black versions aren't really available either. E50 is for v-shaped sound, E80 is fairly neutral. I don't have any of them though. Be sure to read reviews before buying and read/ask for comparisons.

The list given by cel4145 doesn't contain some of the recent IEMs such as the SoundMagic E50, E80, Fidue A73, Dunu DN-2000J, Trinity Delta, Altone200, Sennheiser IE800, etc., but it's a great list. Just to tell you to do other research as well.

E80 don't have a lot of mid-bass (while they do have enough sub-bass), so for your bassy tastes you might prefer something else. Since you enjoy bass, Fidue A73, Trinity Delta (with the right filters), Altone200 are great. More reviews, impressions, comparisons are coming soon regarding Fidue A73, Delta (the latter has three pairs of filters with one more coming soon). Altone200 is the more v-shaped. Fidue A83 is also good for bass, but might be uncomfortable/not isolating too well.

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 8
  If you use an amp with your iPhone or Android, you'll be double-amping since those phones normally only have a headphone output and no line output. For a line output, some DAPs and DACs have it. Double-amping can create distortions in the sound.

E50, E80 have versions with a mic/remote and they're called E50S, E80S. Each of the four will come at least in red, black, but at this moment only E50, E80 are available, and black versions aren't really available either. E50 is for v-shaped sound, E80 is fairly neutral. I don't have any of them though. Be sure to read reviews before buying and read/ask for comparisons.

The list given by cel4145 doesn't contain some of the recent IEMs such as the SoundMagic E50, E80, Fidue A73, Dunu DN-2000J, Trinity Delta, Altone200, Sennheiser IE800, etc., but it's a great list. Just to tell you to do other research as well.

E80 don't have a lot of mid-bass (while they do have enough sub-bass), so for your bassy tastes you might prefer something else. Since you enjoy bass, Fidue A73, Trinity Delta (with the right filters), Altone200 are great. More reviews, impressions, comparisons are coming soon regarding Fidue A73, Delta (the latter has three pairs of filters with one more coming soon). Altone200 is the more v-shaped. Fidue A83 is also good for bass, but might be uncomfortable/not isolating too well.

Nice, thanks!!! I have a lot of reading / research to do, thanks for the info! 

I'm sitting down researching info with my 8320's and my Note 4, it sounds pretty dang good, but I definitely would like to experience hi-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back