IEM, Headphone + DAC/AMP "Synergy"
Jan 31, 2010 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lootbag

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I am in the market for a USB DAC/AMP for use with my laptop (Sager 9280, noisy output) and all my headphones/IEMs.

I have done quite a bit of research and gone through pages and pages of reviews of portable DACs and AMPs. But still unable to see a clear winner.

Budget? $200-$500 ($500 if it will be THAT much better)

My current gear is Westone 3, Audio-Technica ESW9, Grade SR80 and a rockboxed iPod 5.5G. Now I know some people will say those sources do not need to be amped but I think these headphones/IEMs have more to offer.

Based on what I have experienced with my current headphones, I feel that they are all on the livelier, more involving, more playful side. Lots of low end bass punch and screaming highs. I feel they could all use a little more evening out and a bit more mid/vocal emphasis.

I am looking for a DAC/AMP that won't make the headphones any warmer/colorful than they already are and help to even out the tone a bit/cooler and give everything a little more depth... if that makes any sense.

I have been looking at the iBasso D2+ Boa... I have read some reviews and most say it tends to make the music warmer which I would like to avoid... or am I wrong? Will this DAC/AMP fit the bill for me? Regarding the PICO DAC/AMP and RSA Predator, they are more than double the price... and I read that they are both amazing... will they do what the D2+ cannot?

Any input is welcome!
Thanks

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 2
I'am not sure what you need here as there are a few options available,to start have you checked out D4,i use it with my gear in the signature,its a very nice amp, and what to say about the DAC,just stands out,on par with the PICO DAC as most of the reviewers rate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back