IEM Haze (≤$200, a little bit over is ok)
Jul 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaybird123

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been looking for a new set of IEMs because I am moving to a city and will be getting around mostly on foot. I've been using the same old pair of klipsch s4's for a while now (roughly 3-4years) and while they still work..i'm definitely looking for more. I've scoured multiple websites (including this one) to learn about all the different IEMs in my range and have been delighted to find quite a few options, my only issue is that I have never listened to any of them. This is where this website comes in to play, hopefully with the help of members that have experience with the IEMs I am about to talk about. I listen to mostly Jazz and Hip-hop. 

I was immediately drawn to the Klipsch x10's just because without the microphone they can be had for a steal of around 100 bucks on amazon. My issue with them is I have read a lot of complaints of poor build quality and lack of customer service because most resellers on Amazon aren't Klipsch authorized. (the lack of a refund possibility is not what is keeping me back, its the build quality issues). In addition, I have read substantial complaints about bad cord noise. Comments on the sound quality would be great as well. COnsidering these were at one point 300 dollar IEMs, it is enticing. 

On the lower end of the spectrum in price I was considering the etymotic hf3 or hf5, although I believe they are almost the same thing, one just has a microphone control. I've read that they have very accurate sound but the bass is a bit on the lower end. In this range are also the newer Hifiman RE-400. Talking about hifiman there are also the 262 and 272 which are a little pricier.

Closer to $200 dollars are the Vsonic gr07 MKII which I haven't read a ton about other then that they are great IEMs. There are also cheaper vsonics that have equally favorable reviews. In the 100-200 range there also seem to be a few sennheiser IEMs to choose from.

I've also read a few things about the B&W C5s, I don't know if they are any good but I believe i could actually go try those out at best buy. 

As you can see, I have done research and found quite a bit. I just can't really decide without listening to all of them and where I currently live it isn't possible to do that, at least to my knowledge there are no stores that would allow me to. I suppose I'm asking a lot but considering I'll be walking around when i listen to these for the most part, and I listen to almost entirely jazz and hip hop, could someone make some suggestions for me, or just narrow down the ones I have already posted about. Thank You 

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Alright. X10's build isn't that bad, but they are fragile. C5s are a real bass head iem. It only has bass and piercing highs. It's crazy. Don't buy the C5. What kind of sound are you looking for? Based on your list(HF5, RE-400, C5, GR07, X10), I can't tell what kind of sound you are looking for.

Neutral: HF5, RE-400
Bassy: C5, GR07, X10.

Can you elaborate on what sound sig you are looking for?

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Alright. X10's build isn't that bad, but they are fragile. C5s are a real bass head iem. It only has bass and piercing highs. It's crazy. Don't buy the C5. What kind of sound are you looking for? Based on your list(HF5, RE-400, C5, GR07, X10), I can't tell what kind of sound you are looking for.

Neutral: HF5, RE-400
Bassy: C5, GR07, X10.

Can you elaborate on what sound sig you are looking for?

Thanks for the response. I obviously don't want an extreme amount of bass so the C5s are out, but I would like a little bit of bass, which I suppose would lend me toward the Bassy group. However, I am looking for a clean, tight bass so if a neutral style headphone can also provide that then that is also alright. I suppose i just put together a group of headphones that people seemed to like. If it were down to the X10s or GR07, which would be a better choice? 

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I obviously don't want an extreme amount of bass so the C5s are out, but I would like a little bit of bass, which I suppose would lend me toward the Bassy group. However, I am looking for a clean, tight bass so if a neutral style headphone can also provide that then that is also alright. I suppose i just put together a group of headphones that people seemed to like. If it were down to the X10s or GR07, which would be a better choice? 

Probably GR07. X10 is great for $100, but it doesn't stand against GR07 in terms of clarity or tightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back