IEM guy look for Advice: Ultrasone HFI 780 VS pro 750 VS pro 2500 VS ELSE
May 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
I am quite new to full size head phone market. Now I set me eye on these 3.

I am owning IEM UM3X, past high end IEM is IE8. I did not have grudge against laid back presentation, just want to give other new IEM a try. You can see as I don't have to stick to either Westone or sennheiser SS

That is what I prefer. A warm but detail sound, Nice at low and mid, not too much in your face presentation, BIG soundstage/ NICE imagination, good bass.

Listen at pop, R&B mostly.

Which one you think it would suit my taste? I did some research on Hfi 780, to sum up, it is front presentaion with huge bass, little harrsh/ thin in high, and nice soundstage considering it is closed headphone. Recabled improve everthing.

It would be nice for you to point out the characteristic of each headphone.

You may let me know there is another brand name model which does job perfectly, as I said I am newbie only. I am pretty open at this point To be honest, the first reason I looked up Ultrason is its sexy outlook.I do not have any perference on any brand name for now

I prefer grab one in FS section, under 250USD,so the wallet won't feel too much pain if the worest case I just resell it when it does not suit me well.

Thanks
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite new to full size head phone market. Now I set me eye on these 3.

I am owning IEM UM3X, past high end IEM is IE8. I did not have grudge against laid back presentation, just want to give other new IEM a try. You can see as I don't have to stick to either Westone or sennheiser SS

That is what I prefer. A warm but detail sound, Nice at low and mid, not too much in your face presentation, BIG soundstage/ NICE imagination, good bass.

Listen at pop, R&B mostly.

Which one you think it would suit my taste? I did some research on Hfi 780, to sum up, it is front presentaion with huge bass, little harrsh/ thin in high, and nice soundstage considering it is closed headphone. Recabled improve everthing.

It would be nice for you to point out the characteristic of each headphone.

You may let me know there is another brand name model which does job perfectly, as I said I am newbie only. I am pretty open at this point To be honest, the first reason I looked up Ultrason is its sexy outlook.I do not have any perference on any brand name for now

I prefer grab one in FS section, under 250USD,so the wallet won't feel too much pain if the worest case I just resell it when it does not suit me well.

Thanks
wink_face.gif

The HFI-780, which I actually got on friday, im find is almost exactly as you described. Its got huge bass, but very tight and punchy. The highs arent really that harsh (it could be my ears but who knows) but they are a bit thin but by no means bad. The mids are great. Guitars sound especially nice on these bad boys. I really dont listen to R&B or Pop so I cant really comment on how good they would sound. The 780 does have a pretty good soundstage and they are quite detailed! Its got some decent isolation and im finding them to be pretty comfortable (although it does take some getting used to). Also, they look great
atsmile.gif
. Im loving them thats for sure.

I paid $250 canadian for them. I bought them on Amazon.com for $200 US and actually had them sent to friends of my family who live in the US and were coming to visit. They do ship to Canada but obviously it costs a little more. I think eBay.ca has them for as low as $220 canadian, but the shipping was something like $40. It was worth every penny though.

Alternatively, Shure has some new headphones coming out in the summer. Their top of the line model is supposedly about $200 USD. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lea...srh840-420561/

Hope this helps.

May 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingFungus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-780, which I actually got on friday, im find is almost exactly as you described. Its got huge bass, but very tight and punchy. The highs arent really that harsh (it could be my ears but who knows) but they are a bit thin but by no means bad. The mids are great. Guitars sound especially nice on these bad boys. I really dont listen to R&B or Pop so I cant really comment on how good they would sound. The 780 does have a pretty good soundstage and they are quite detailed! Its got some decent isolation and im finding them to be pretty comfortable (although it does take some getting used to). Also, they look great
atsmile.gif
. Im loving them thats for sure.

I paid $250 canadian for them. I bought them on Amazon.com for $200 US and actually had them sent to friends of my family who live in the US and were coming to visit. They do ship to Canada but obviously it costs a little more. I think eBay.ca has them for as low as $220 canadian, but the shipping was something like $40. It was worth every penny though.

Alternatively, Shure has some new headphones coming out in the summer. Their top of the line model is supposedly about $200 USD. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lea...srh840-420561/

Hope this helps.

I kind of read some review and found 780 seems good to my taste, thanks

For Shure, the price is quite tempting.....
icon10.gif

I am going to wait more input before 1 decide

May 19, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

The HFI-780, which I actually got on friday, im find is almost exactly as you described. Its got huge bass, but very tight and punchy. The highs arent really that harsh

Its true that highs aren't something you should bother with.Their bright , but never seem harsh at all.Mine are well burn im the second owner , this must help. These little guys need easilly 200 h. burn in time.And it appear that during this period they really sound fuzzy !!! On the other side , if you're scared about "in your face" presentation, i think it just eliminate HFI's for PRO's. Definitely.

May 19, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its true that highs aren't something you should bother with.Their bright , but never seem harsh at all.Mine are well burn im the second owner , this must help. These little guys need easilly 200 h. burn in time.And it appear that during this period they really sound fuzzy !!! On the other side , if you're scared about "in your face" presentation, i think it just eliminate HFI's for PRO's. Definitely.

so proline is not upfront as hfi series?

I dont mind harash as long as it is detail enough, I feel alrite

May 19, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Either way, I dont think you would regret the 780's. I think they sound great straight out of the box. Plus Im sure you could always return them if you dont like them.

May 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Either way, I dont think you would regret the 780's. I think they sound great straight out of the box. Plus Im sure you could always return them if you dont like them.

just wonder how can I return them if I get from US

May 19, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

just wonder how can I return them if I get from US

I got it through this seller: Amazon.com Seller Help: BESTSELLER21

Maybe you can contact them and see if they would accept returns from Canada.

Thats, of course, assuming you will want to return them
icon10.gif

Id do some more research before you make a final decision. Ive stated my opinion.
beyersmile.png

May 19, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I got it through this seller: Amazon.com Seller Help: BESTSELLER21

Maybe you can contact them and see if they would accept returns from Canada.

Thats, of course, assuming you will want to return them
icon10.gif

Id do some more research before you make a final decision. Ive stated my opinion.
beyersmile.png

Thanks for you advice. I appreciate it. Just want to know more before making decision. Selling and buying is exhausting for me. I think it is better grab more information first. I just finish hfi 780 thread, overall it is prety positive. I am crossing my finger to see how others compare with 780
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Thanks for you advice. I appreciate it. Just want to know more before making decision. Selling and buying is exhausting for me. I think it is better grab more information first. I just finish hfi 780 thread, overall it is prety positive. I am crossing my finger to see how others compare with 780
very_evil_smiley.gif

No problem.

I got my 780's to use with my Xbox 360, but unfortunately it needs to be repaird. So Ive been using my 780's with music and I was very impressed with how good they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back