IEM for University
May 15, 2009 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Othello3

New Head-Fier
Hi. I am a university student with a strong interest in jazz. I am new to the world of high-end headphones but I do have what I believe is a pretty decent ear. Being in school I tend to spend most of my music listening time either in libraries or common work spaces. Unfortunately these are either places that are deathly quiet or painfully loud. As such, I figured that a good noise-isolating IEM would be my best option. I've done some research and after speaking to the folks at Headroom have landed on the Shure SE420. At first the SE310's looked promising but HeadRoom suggested that the dual driver of the SE420 provided a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Now I realize that the SE530 is considered the gold standard or something close to it but I really do not have the means to purchase them. Given that fact, could anyone comment on the SE420's for the purposes I have previously mentioned? Thank you very much.

Edit: This isn't entirely relevant, but it is also my intention to buy a good set of open headphones such as the Grados at some point which only makes my decision as to what to buy now more difficult.

May 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you should try to find a pair of SE530's used. I bought my TF10's used for 200 bucks.. which may be cheaper than the 420's.

May 15, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi...... I'm sorry for your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi...... I'm sorry for your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well hopefully my ears will appreciate the suffering of my wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi,

I have the 530 and Grado. First off the Grado will NOT will be acceptable in libraries and common areas. They leak sound out and allow sound in. Grado 'phones are awesome headphones, but aren't meant for 'public use'.

Also, the sound signature of the Shure and Grado are completely different. The Shure has very lush mids and decent (to me) bass. The Grado has terrific highs and great detail and better soundstage.

I like the Shure, but read a bit more about some of the other top IEMs out there to fit the sound sig to your preference.

Ross

May 15, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have the 530 and Grado. First off the Grado will NOT will be acceptable in libraries and common areas. They leak sound out and allow sound in. Grado 'phones are awesome headphones, but aren't meant for 'public use'.

Also, the sound signature of the Shure and Grado are completely different. The Shure has very lush mids and decent (to me) bass. The Grado has terrific highs and great detail and better soundstage.

I like the Shure, but read a bit more about some of the other top IEMs out there to fit the sound sig to your preference.

Ross

Thank you. No I realize that the Grado and Shure are not comparable and I didn't mean to compare them. My point was only that while a good IEM is best for my situation now I recognize that my primal need for cool toys will probably ultimately result in my getting a pair of Grado phones. Which other high-end IEMs were you thinking of?

May 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Westone 3s. While the 530s are superb in tight bass and amazing mids, the Westone 3s are a little more refined all around.

They are generally a little bit more expensive, but they are amazing.

May 16, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 13
I would recommend the Altec Lansings UHP336 (Which are basically the same as the UE Super.Fi 3s). They are not the most expensive and not the best I am sure, but I have a fairly discerning ear and I love them. Dollar per performance wise, I think they cant really be beat. And for just listening to music off a device like an MP3 player they will be great anyway because then you run into issues with the format the music was compressed to being the bottleneck of the sound quality, not the IEMs (unless you have one with enough space that will allow loss less formats like WMA loss less and play them).

Im sure others like the Super.Fi 5's and beyond would sound better, but I wouldn't shell out the money for them.

May 8, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 13
get Ultimate eart triplefi 10 or Ultimate ear 700 or westone 4r or westone UM3X and DO NOT GET SHURE, since shure have a very small stage listening to jazz will make you suffer  to deatrh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back