IEM for under $150
Aug 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:
Are there any that doesn't required a portable amp? Those are sorta to bulky to carry around for me

The HFI-580s don't require one, but you wanted loud, too. I think the R-50s are plenty loud on my Clip+ and my G2 phone, but if I wanted more volume, I'd get an amp. LOL

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #51 of 68
You could. I would get the E11 or E17 instead though. The E7 is old news now. The 1- and 17 are better.
Quote:
Since I already got the R-50, should I just get a portable amp like the FiiO E7 to make these sound better?

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #54 of 68
Maybe the ATH-CKM500? Ill sell you mine. I have the iPhone version with the mic and controls.
Quote:
Are there any IEM out there that can have the power output of Skullcandy or Beats audio with much better clarity?

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #55 of 68
Quote:
Are there any IEM out there that can have the power output of Skullcandy or Beats audio with much better clarity?

Have you heard those IEMs with your specific iPod Touch to confirm that they have that volume output? If so, specifying the specific models would probably help. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #57 of 68
I can't find figures on the R-50s, but the Brainwavz B2, which the R-50 appears to be a rebranded version with only slight variations, has sensitivity of 110db at 1mw with impedance of 40 ohms, with maximum power rating of 60mw. The Fischer Audio DBA-02 rating is similar. 

Skullcandy Titans are 16 ohm (can't find the sensitivity); Beat Studios look to have 115db sensitivity and low impedance (but not specified). Could be that iPod Touch just finds the lower impedance easier to drive. 

That being said, 110db at 1mw is very loud. Check out this chart. 110 db is like standing near a power saw. It's loud enough to cause hearing damage with extended exposure (see the chart).  I've used my R-50s with my FiiO E17 (no EQ) and they get very loud, definitely louder than I should listen to them for extended periods. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 68
I didn't mean that they weren't loud enough in that way, I meant loud as in without the schrilling/piercing like the R-50. They're definitely loud enough but bass and midbass get extremely muddy, the treble and high are very shrilly and ear piercing, and that definitely just make the listening experience terrible. I'm just looking for something that basically doesn't get muddy and shrilly at very high volume. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #59 of 68
To me, the R-50s seem to have that analytical response curve, just like my ER4Ps. Flat midrange and bass with very accentuated highs. I have to EQ the high end own substantially. 

And like the ER4Ps, the bass response is fairly tight, but not "exciting" by any means. I have to EQ up the bass to improve it, and yet I still like the texture of the bass in dynamic earphones better.

If you want really good sound with great bass and aren't adverse to full size headphones, get the Audio Technica M-50s. Or get the HFI-580s. Both around $120 on Amazon, both will sound very good with a portable MP3 player. But because they have big drivers, they get even nicer sounding with a headphone amp. Read up and research on them here. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #60 of 68
I do have a thread or full size headphones and have decided that I'm going to purchase the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I've been researching and it seems like the AKG K 490 NC is the exact same price. So which one is better? Oh and I'm putting my R-50 on sale now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back