IEM for travelling - London tube / trains / aeroplanes
Sep 2, 2011 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PocketSharks

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am looking for a pair of IEMs with great sound isolation and decent sound quality.
I listen to mainly rock, reggae, classical, and some acoustic guitar. I'm starting to have some 24bit/96khz music in my library so detailed IEMs would be nice.
My budget is around £300 ( 500$ ).

The Etymotic Research HF5   has caught my eye because of the great isolation and good value. I am also interested in the Sleek audio 7, but I don't seem to be able to find out if they have been released yet.

Can anyone reccomend a pair or tell me more about the Sleek audio 7 ?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Have you considered custom IEM's?

At your budget you could pick some up.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Well Etymotic do some custom tips for the HF5 which are good value. Sleek customs are pretty expensive though. I'm tending towards the HF5 for the moment, they seem to have the best isolation, at a very good price.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 6
1x for the HF5.  The stock 3-flange tips take a bit to get used to because they insert deep into your ear canal, but if you break yourself in with them (10-15 mins at a time, then a break, for 2-3 days), you'll get used to the slight pressure on the ear canal -- you won't hurt anything.

HF5 has the best isolation available in a universal, and excellent SQ -- a little light in the bass, but if you don't mind using some EQ, you can boost the bass a bit to a satisfying level.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Under this budget you can buy HF5 and AMPs (like Fiio E11, T3d) for better sound quality. Few other IEMs are also recommended for these genres music like Grado GR10, UM3x, GR07, EQ-7, CK100 and SE535. The custom IEMs like JH5Pro are great buy over universal IEMs in term of soundquality and isoaltion.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the advice !  I ended up getting the HF3 today, which are the same as the HS5 but also with a microphone so i can use it in calls.
They sound great. They are my first IEMs so i don't think I inserted them properly the first time, as the isolation wasn't great. I just tried the foam eartips and they seem much better in comparison to the triple flange, so i must be doing something wrong !

I don't think I'll get a portable amp for the minute because i use them with my samsung galaxy S, which has an in built wolfson headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back