IEM for the bus (under $80)
Apr 11, 2007 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

quahog123

New Head-Fier
I take the bus every morning and I need some headphones that will provide some isolation. I've had to resort to using iBuds even though they provide little isolation and the sound quality isn't all that great. I have KSC75s and enjoy their sound, but unfortunately they provide no isolation. My source is a first-generation iPod Nano unamped. I listen to mostly hip-hop, but I listen to just about every genre. I've done a lot of reading and this is what I'm thinking:

ATH-CK7: Do these provide enough isolation?

Metro.Fi 2: Again, enough isolation?

ER6i: These seem to have too little bass for hip-hop, but what if I boosted
the bass with iPod presets?

Super.fi 3: Seems good but are the other options better? Also some say it lacks bass.

d-Jays: A little out of my price range, but is the money worth it?

Super.fi 5eb: These seem to be an interesting choice since I am somewhat of a basshead, but they are out of my price range. However, would the extra money be worth it if I decided to get them? I've seen them go for a little over $100 on ebay and are currently $130 at CompUSA.

EP630/Marshmallows/KEB24: Cheaper solutions, but none of them seem to provide that much isolation. Also I haven't seen any posts about opinions on the KEB24.

If you have another suggestion feel free to say it.
tongue.gif
Right now I'm leaning towards the Metro.fi 2, but I want to know what you think is best suited for my situation. Thanks for the input.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 15
im616. Im not sure how they compare, but you should put em on the list.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 15
i think i get enough isolation from my ep630s. i think it suits hip-hop because it is somehow bass-heavy! it really sounds more than its $30 price tag! one vote for the ep630.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 15
I use the ER-6i on the bus & the isolation is great. I just tried them with the iPod bass boost & hip-hop EQ settings & if you want a bass-heavy headphone, I doubt you'd be happy with these.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 15
I have iM616s, EP630s, and Marshmallows. The iM616s sound great and provide a ton of isolation. I use them for mowing the lawn among other things. However, they don't have as much bass as the other two. Cleaner, perhaps, but I don't know if that's a priority for hip-hop (not my thing, so I don't know).

The EP630s and Marshmallows won't block the noise like the full IEMs, but they do knock everything down a level. I use them in the gym to bring down the music they blast and all the clanking. Also, these two are much easier to get in and out than full IEMs, which is handy to keep from being too antisocial. I would suggest you try one of these as quick access to your hearing is probably warranted on the bus or when getting off. They are also much cheaper and if you don't like them you are not out as much. Same if you lose or break them.

Otherwise I think the next step up is a bit over your budget as you may have seen.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 15
With the ep630s, I cant hear much outside noises on the bus and when you have the music turned up, you will be completely infused with your music. Unless you will be spending more than $80, the sound quality of most lower-end canalphones will have little difference

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by certainshadeofal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree that if you want a bass heavy earphone dont go for the er6i...although i still think they sound good for their price

really? i was always under the impression the er6i's can't compete in bass with other iems of the same price range.

i'd say go with the ep630. They are cheap, provide great isolation (enough for a bus ride i think), and are GREAT on bass.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 15
go for the super fi 5 eb. EB is for extended bass. and they are trully great IEMs but like all iems seal is the most important things so sound results can very from user to user.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 15
I was pretty much in the same position as you. I needed a pair of IEM for the bus, airplane, annoying ass roommates, etc. I was looking at the Er6i, UM1, EP630, Super 3 & 5, and Vibes. I eliminated the Super series because it didn't seem like the best bang for the buck. I looked at the Vibes, which have really gotten mixed opinions, and it doesn't provide isolation really. The UM1 was out of my price range($80), plus my friend told me that the bass was very lacking.

So I pretty much narrowed my choice down to EP630 & Er6i. I was really considering EP630 because most of the music I listen to was rap, but I got the impression that the noise cancellation isn't great, it's not really what it's meant for. Plus I figured if I'm going to spend money on a pair of decent earphones, I might as well go for something pretty decent (low-end wise). I got the impression based other's opinions, that the EP630 is without a doubt one of the best for it's price range, but overall it's not up to par with the Er6i. Eventually, I just decided that I'll buy both EP630 & Er6i, which would come out to be about $100, which wasn't horrible.

I bought the Er6i first. When it came, I gaved it a listen. At first I was impressed, but wasn't dazzled. It definitely sounded better, and I could hear things that I couldn't hear before with stock ibuds. It's been about two or three weeks now, and they sound GREAT! I don't know if I got used to the sound, or they've been burnt it, but I love them. I'm much better at getting a good seal, which probably contributes to the better sound. In terms of comfort, it was weird at first because these were my first pair of IEMs, but now I can wear them for quite a long time. The foam tips were really comfortable, but they lost the waxiness, so it was hard for me to get the right fit. I switched back the flanges because I'm short on money, so I couldn't find more foams. The flanges were a bit hard to get used to and uncomfortable when I first tried them, but now they're perfect. I barely even notice them, I think it was because I was trying to stick them in too far into my canal before. In terms of isolation, they are AWESOME! I can BARELY hear my roommates when the music is on. Most of the time I can't, unless the sound they make is pretty loud. On the plane it was amazing. I could hear the low hums of the engine, but it was no way drowning out the music. For the first time I could listen to my ipod at regular volume, and actually hear the lyrics. With ibuds I turned it up almost all the way, and it was still hard to hear clearly, plus my ears were hurting from such loud noise level. In terms of isolation & comfort I can't complain at all, especially isolation.

I was a bit worried that the bass would be lacking, since most of the music I listen to was rap. I'm do enjoy the bass, but probably not as much as you do. With that being said, I don't find the bass lacking at all. It's not as bassy as with Vibes, but I like the bass that the Er6i produces. It's clean & crisp but definitely there, better than ibuds for sure. I find it to be perfect. I'm not sure about with EQ on, I haven't bothered to try because I'm perfectly content with the sound right now. They sound great with other types of music; pop, r&b, rock, etc.

After giving the Er6i a chance, I'm not even going to bother with the EP630 unless they come down to around the $15 range(w/ rebates), then maybe I'll consider buying them just as a spare. The Er6i packing is nice, it comes with a nice pouch for you to keep the tips & earphones. It comes with I think three sets of different size flanges & a pair of foamies. I'm not audiophile or anything. The Er6i were my first pair of IEMs, but I love them. I'm glad I didn't go with anything else. I would definitely recommend you buy a pair of these, or at least give them a listen if you get the chance. I can say it's probably one of the best $70 I've spent on anything.

On a somewhat side note. I was listening to Frankie J's song, Daddy's Little Girl w/ the Er6i, and out of no where I started to hear faint heartbeats in the background. I thought I was delusional, but I re-listened a few times, and it's definitely there. I never heard it with the other crappy earphones before. It was quite the awesome experience!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the input.

I'll probably get the EP630s from that link (only $10!). I'll also pick up the ER6i and see which one I like better. Either way I'm sure they're both much, much better than the iBuds and I can just stick with the KSC75 when I don't need isolation.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 15
gbadude touched on how the ER6i's can take some getting used to. I think they're a very good value -- glad he stuck with them, and I'm glad he described how they can help transform an airplane flight.

quahog123 -- good suggestion by gbadude to get both (if you can afford to ... and because you're on Head-Fi, you probably already have worked up some kind of justification for that.
etysmile.gif
).

They're different enough in form and function that, if you can get both, you'll find yourself using them in different situations. And if you can only get one, either way, if you're coming from ear buds, you'll probably find yourself enjoying your music more than you were. Both are nice steps up from stock buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back