IEM for sound isolation and comfort
Feb 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

edpowers

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cheaper-end IEM that has good sound isolation with relatively decent comfort. I will be using them mostly on airplanes and travel situations where there is a lot of background noise. I listen to rock, pop and some instrumental classical stuff. I don't really want to break the bank, but I also want some that will sound nice. I have never used IEMs but I have used several noise cancelling models. They worked to a varying degree, but I found all of them uncomfortable to wear and less portable than I'd like.

I've been reading a lot about the Shure e2c and e3c. How do these two compare with sound isolation? How do they compare with comfort? Is there a huge improvement in sound quality with the e3c or is it more subtle? Is there another brand/model I should be looking at?

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 12
i got the e2c and i don't find it very comfortable. i mean i can stand it and i've gotten used to it, but if i were to do it over, i'd have gone for something else. i've tried the e3c and it has noticeably more detail than the e2c, but both are rolled off in the highs. and the e2c sounded a little "fuller" especially in the bass.

the sound isolation is okay, but sometimes it's not enough for me (trains, busses). but i don't know if other IEM's provide any more isolation than the e2c's. etymotic research is another brand you might want to look into before deciding.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 12
If you can get comfortable with the triple flanges, the Etymotic 6i's are hard to beat for isolation. Better for long stretches of listening than quick interruptions. So isolating you can get a little paranoid in a crowd. I actually prefer the ER6's for listening most of the time, but I always use the 6i's on an airplane.

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 12
tfunk408, thanks for the feedback. I'm a little surprised that the sound isolation is only ok with the e2c. Have you ever used any of the noise cancelling sets like the Bose or Seenheiser? I'd be interested in a comparison since I have used those before but never had a chance to hear the e2c.

Audiophobe also thanks for the feedback, I have been reading a bit on the er-6i ... I guess my only worry is that I read that these go a bit deeper into the ear. I suppose that helps with the sound isolation, but I'm worried about comfort. I know I'll get interupted every now and then ... does it take a long time to get these back in?

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Comfort with ER6i is good in general. Insertion was pretty easy and a good seal was also possible without too much mucking about. I guess it gets much easier when you're used to putting IEM in. Everyone finds it difficult at the very beginning. Isolation is first class.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Etymotics were my first true IEM (I unknowingly got the ER-6, not the "i" version, but the configuration is the same ... very small, very light, very thin cords -- they weigh next to nothing), and I had to get used to the really deep insertion with the flanged tips. At first, they were especially hard to get out of the ear, as I was afraid of separating the cord from the tiny earpiece, and the suction created in an airplane was surprisingly effective. I still find them a bit fiddly (getting the right seal with the flanges is important, and if I moved my head or yawned, for example, the seal "slipped" momentarily), but when I switched to the brown Etymotics foamies, which don't insert as deeply and which are much easier to put in and take out, I revised my opinion of them. I liked them before, but I really like them now. Overall, Etymotics are especially good for airplane use -- with the flanges, the isolation is very, very good. They're so "petite" that I wouldn't use them at the gym, though, or for five-minute listening sessions at work or between classes (see AudioPhobe's comments). And I would handle them even more carefully than I would any other expensive electronics item.

I have gone over to Shure E3c's (also with foamies), and on balance and for subjective reasons, I prefer them a little bit more than the Etymotics (perhaps because I didn't pay full list price for them ... otherwise, the Etys would be the better value by far ... remember, I got only the ER-6, not the "i" version).

Both the Etymotics and the Shures isolate well with the foamies, and both are comfortable for me -- many don't like to wrap the Shure's thicker cord over the ear -- which is not a big deal after the second time you do it -- but the Shures seem a little better suited for day-to-day handling, such as quick short-term listening, and putting them in and taking them out frequently.

It depends on how you would be using your earphones, but if you got either the Etymotics ER-6i's or the Shure E3C's, you will have moved way up in class over any awkwardly designed bundled earbuds ... and continued your fateful Head-Fi journey, as well.
biggrin.gif
(Are apologies about your wallet in order?)

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
It depends on how you would be using your earphones, but if you got either the Etymotics ER-6i's or the Shure E3C's, you will have moved way up in class over any awkwardly designed bundled earbuds ... and continued your fateful Head-Fi journey, as well.
biggrin.gif
(Are apologies about your wallet in order?)

Thanks for the advice. I have the money for whatever I want, but I'm always looking for good value and I just don't know if I'll use them enough to justify the price. I listen to most of my music at home with my Magnepan setup or in my car. So, I really only will use these for working out and traveling. A lot of ipod usage and a decent amount of movies on the laptop on flights. I really value the sound isolation, since even if I turn the music off on the plane, I'd like to leave the plugs just to block the noise. I think I've narrowed it down to the E3C or the ER-6i, but still not sure which one to get.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 12
I own the E2c's and they were my first attempt at the IEM market. They were a definite improvement over your traditional ear bud headphones and did a decent job at blocking out sound. However, I didn't want to fool with the foam sleeves so I opted for the plastic sleeves that could be reused over and over (clean them with alcohol). The plastic sleeves are a bit uncomfortable if you try to get a tight seal in your ear.

Ultimately, I decided the only way for me to reduce the uncomfortable effects and get better sound isolation was to buy custom pieces. Since I didn't want to kill my bank with $1000 Sensaphonics or UE10's, I went with the Ultimate Ear UE5c's. They are very nice and work wonders with sound isolation and comfort. Great sounding headphones as well but at $600 (including audiologist costs), that is a bit pricey for most.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Welcome to head-fi. I cast my vote for the ER-6i. Great value and pretty comfortable once you get used to them. I much prefer the sound of the triflange for extended listening, but for pop-in/pop-out situations, I strongly agree that foamies are the way to go (inserting the triflanges more than three times in an hour seems to irritate my ears).

With regard to triflange insertion questions: Correct insertion is kind of like riding a bike -- once you get it right one time, you're good forever. Taking out the triflanges isn't really difficult... just twist a little bit and they should release.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 12
I have an increasing appreciation for my Etymotics (now I'm glad I kept them when I got my Shures, which I also like) -- but I don't know that I would use the Etymotics in the gym. Just a concern on my part -- maybe you'll see when/if you get them. But you probably can't do much better for isolation on airplanes and other public transportation ...

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 12
if you're thinking about the e3c and are interested in something comfortable i'd suggest also taking a look at the um1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back