IEM for Sony NW-A55?
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bulukaki

New Head-Fier
Edit: rather than clogging the forum with new threads I's rather ask again here... (see below)

I've been wanting and ACMEE MF01 for a while so I freaked out when production stopped. So I managed to get one but it got stuck in my home country (I'm studying abroad).

So I'm looking for other DAPs in the $100 range, give or take. Here's some options I've been considering:

-A secondhand Fiio X1 for $35
-xduoo X2S for $60
-Hidizs AP80 for $110
-Lightly used Fiio M7 for $130
-Lightly used Sony A55 for $140

I'm not going to use streaming services or bluetooth headphones, so only needing basic functions. Is the M7 worth it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Fiio M3 Pro. Nice little player. Great sound and cheap too. Very balanced sound, Slightly warm. Smooth.

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 14
I've been wanting and ACMEE MF01 for a while so I freaked out when production stopped. So I managed to get one but it got stuck in my home country (I'm studying abroad).

So I'm looking for other DAPs in the $100 range, give or take. Here's some options I've been considering:

-A secondhand Fiio X1 for $35
-xduoo X2S for $60
-Hidizs AP80 for $110
-Lightly used Fiio M7 for $130
-Lightly used Sony A55 for $140

I'm not going to use streaming services or bluetooth headphones, so only needing basic functions. Is the M7 worth it? Thanks!

I bought a firsthand Sony A55 at $150 and it has been my daily DAP since.

Mr Walkman has created a firmware mod (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) that greatly improves the sound of the original stock tuning, and it sounds way better. His latest firmware mod has 4 tuning options!

Generally, the Sony A55's house sound is buttery smooth and warmish, with good layering. Battery life is > 30 hours with the firmware mod V2 midnight version. Perhaps the only issue with it is that it can't power very highly demanding gear eg planars or very high impedance cans.

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 14
I bought a firsthand Sony A55 at $150 and it has been my daily DAP since.

Mr Walkman has created a firmware mod (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/) that greatly improves the sound of the original stock tuning, and it sounds way better. His latest firmware mod has 4 tuning options!

Generally, the Sony A55's house sound is buttery smooth and warmish, with good layering. Battery life is > 30 hours with the firmware mod V2 midnight version. Perhaps the only issue with it is that it can't power very highly demanding gear eg planars or very high impedance cans.

Thanks for the detailed response. The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards the A55.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 14
So, I've decided to get the Sony A55 and now looking for IEMs to pair with.

On a review video for the A55 it is mentioned that it pairs well with Tin T2.

But I'm also looking for other IEMs in the sub-$100 range, with other contenders being Ibasso iT00 and Moondrop Aria.

Additionally, I prefer IEM cables that go around my ears.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 14
So, I've decided to get the Sony A55 and now looking for IEMs to pair with.

On a review video for the A55 it is mentioned that it pairs well with Tin T2.

But I'm also looking for other IEMs in the sub-$100 range, with other contenders being Ibasso iT00 and Moondrop Aria.

Additionally, I prefer IEM cables that go around my ears.

Tin T2 (neutralish tuning) is a good pairing with the Sony A55. The sony housesound is warm and smooth, so it pairs best with more analytical or brighter gear. Some gear that is overly bassy and warm may sound a bit sluggish on the A55.

I have tried the iBasso IT00 with the A55, the IT00 is a bit warm and heavy in the subbass, it may be too warm with the A55, but YMMV. Otherwise, the IT00 also suffers from driver flex, reported by majority of users (myself included), so something to bear in mind, may be a dealbreaker for some.

I am currently using the TForce Yuan Li with the A55 (Walkman One Plus v2 Mr Walkman Mod), and they synergize very well. Yuan Li has a great melding of timbre, tonality and technicalities, though I think it is slightly above $100 USD.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Tin T2 (neutralish tuning) is a good pairing with the Sony A55. The sony housesound is warm and smooth, so it pairs best with more analytical or brighter gear. Some gear that is overly bassy and warm may sound a bit sluggish on the A55.

I have tried the iBasso IT00 with the A55, the IT00 is a bit warm and heavy in the subbass, it may be too warm with the A55, but YMMV. Otherwise, the IT00 also suffers from driver flex, reported by majority of users (myself included), so something to bear in mind, may be a dealbreaker for some.

I am currently using the TForce Yuan Li with the A55 (Walkman One Plus v2 Mr Walkman Mod), and they synergize very well. Yuan Li has a great melding of timbre, tonality and technicalities, though I think it is slightly above $100 USD.
Again, thankyou for the detailed response!

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 14
I think the claim for 30 hours on NW-A55 is true only if you listen to music without any enhancements turned on and on low volume.
I'm using Shure Aonic 4 and it is in no way able to do 30 hours, let alone 10 at 80-90 points of volume. And if I use enhancements, it drains even faster.

I haven't tried custom firmware myself yet, not sure if I want to mess with it... but I imagine it'll worsen the battery life by a lot.

As for IEM I'd recommend, Shure Aonic 4 sounds great on NW-A55. I listened to various headphones on NW-A55 and Aonic 4 were the best to me. Most of the enhancements, however, felt unnatural to me and I ended up just turning them off.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 14
I think the claim for 30 hours on NW-A55 is true only if you listen to music without any enhancements turned on and on low volume.
I'm using Shure Aonic 4 and it is in no way able to do 30 hours, let alone 10 at 80-90 points of volume. And if I use enhancements, it drains even faster.

I haven't tried custom firmware myself yet, not sure if I want to mess with it... but I imagine it'll worsen the battery life by a lot.

As for IEM I'd recommend, Shure Aonic 4 sounds great on NW-A55. I listened to various headphones on NW-A55 and Aonic 4 were the best to me. Most of the enhancements, however, felt unnatural to me and I ended up just turning them off.

The custom firmware V2 midnight (warm) really increases the battery life over the stock tuning. Give and take about 1.5x to 2x more. And it sounds way better too.

You are missing a lot by just sticking to the stock tuning.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Indeed, A50 with a custom firmware is an entirely another story compared to the stock firmware, especially when it comes to sound quality.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 14
say the person who made it, k.
🤷‍♀️

It would be really lame for me to just say things like that.

Try it and you'll see. I'm not gaining anything from this.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Indeed, A50 with a custom firmware is an entirely another story compared to the stock firmware, especially when it comes to sound quality.
The custom firmware V2 midnight (warm) really increases the battery life over the stock tuning. Give and take about 1.5x to 2x more. And it sounds way better too.

You are missing a lot by just sticking to the stock tuning.

Thanks, I'll be sure to install custom firmware once I get the DAP on hand!

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back