IEM for online classes, tutorials, audiobooks, etc.
Jan 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JTD131

Head-Fier
I know quality isn't as important with things like audiobooks, etc. But, I spend hours every day in coffee shops, etc. listening to spoken word and need something good to keep me focused. I have the se530 and the ie8. The ie8 is awesome for my music taste and can't seem to part with them, but the se530 have awesome clarity and noise isolation. Is there a better suited phone for me than the se530 (only because of its price is too high to justify for audiobook type stuff)

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, the Etymotic ER-4B was designed specifically for this sort of application if I'm not mistaken but that might be overkill. Something reasonably priced with great clarity would be my choice - Altec Lansing iM616 or ADDIEM or the like.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Wait, do you have a pair of shures already? Why change?

But yeah, I'd recommend maybe the ADDIEMs, or the er6is for isolation if you don't mind deep fit.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys. Are they apple Addiems very good with noise isolation? That's a cost effective choice for sure. I do have te se530, but I can still send them back and get a full refund. I have the senn ie8 which I am keeping instead but they don't block out noise and are too bassy for listening to people talk. Basically I love the Shure fit and isolation just wanted something comparable in fit for cheaper.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 7
It's hard to find something that does the human voice badly nowadays, almost anything will do: the cheapest Altecs you can find, the RE2. If you drop $30 on this purchase, you're overspending.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Are they apple Addiems very good with noise isolation? That's a cost effective choice for sure. I do have te se530, but I can still send them back and get a full refund. I have the senn ie8 which I am keeping instead but they don't block out noise and are too bassy for listening to people talk. Basically I love the Shure fit and isolation just wanted something comparable in fit for cheaper.

The ADDIEMs aren't extremely isolating but they're quite decent. The Altec iM616 isolates a good amount more, especially with Shure Olive tips, but requires deep insertion. The Apples, especially with Sony Hybrid tips, are extremely comfortable though.

If you're after isolation and comfort you may also want to look at the Meelectronics M11.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 7
I actually love J2Buds for this purpose, though definately not for music. But for voice files I like them the most of all the IEMs I own, they remove all background hiss and are very easy on ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back