IEM for motorcycle -- Sub $100, snug fit, slow profile, excelent sound isolation, ect..
Aug 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gunhound45

New Head-Fier
So I need a pair of IEM's for use under a motorcycle helmet.

They should be (in this priority):
- Able to fit under a helmet (dont stick out much, prefer cable over ear)
- Sound cancelling (Ambient sound level on the highway is 100+db)
- Under $100

On my PC I use a modded HD558 with a Xonar DX sound card, and I listen to all types of music.

The only matching IEM I know of is the Shure se215.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Of the various cheap (sub $20) I have used I like the Koss IL200's best. Despite being a bit bigger than most and being aluminum, they fit perfectly in my ear and with the larger ear piece they isolate well. I use my phone or my Clip/E6 combo to drive them with great success. I ride with only one ear in, and using the left side I can even do phone calls (hit and miss - but if I tuck the mic up it works). 

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 4
I cannot think of any IEM under the price point that will do all you want...I used the SE535's...was always careful with the volume not to go too loud...always adjusted the volume before starting the bike or doing anything.

One thing that did help was a coolmax sock that you put over your head while leaving your face open then sliding the helmet on...it helped to fill any areas in the helmet to reduce noise and the helmet would just slide past the IEM's...not sure where to buy one as my wife and I found them at a Motorcycle show in Toronto...could just do a google search?..

Lastly, make sure the visor is a good fit and locking it to seal the wind out helps too...not all helmets are equal either...I used an Arai for a while then tried a Shoei..much better.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I use my SE215's for running, and often sleep in my SE425s.  Its hard for me to beat the negative-space design the Shure's have.  I would say you couldn't go wrong with the SE215's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back