IEM for Hip-hop, RE0? fx500? Turbine? ER4S? any suggestions?
May 9, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

racer_x124

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a replacement to my Klipsch S4. I mostly have my IEM's in at work 8+ hours a day so comfort is important (although I've never had a set that didn't feel good in my ear). Bass is more important than sound isolation which isn't to important as I have only the right ear in and the left just outside my ear for a lot of the time.

I've heard a lot of good things about the RE0 but will they have enough bass? I have the ATH-M50 as a baseline and I very much like the overall sound of them and the amount of bass is right on.

If it matters the only amp I have is the little Fiio E5, But would consider building the CMoy Pocket Amp, or something USB powered for ~150$USD if it could power my ATH-M50's as well.

Heard lots of good things about the Turbines, IE8, FX500, and the ER4S too. Read the Bass Ahoy thread and found that they were all so close I couldn't decide.

Price is up to 200$USD, but willing to go higher if it was EXACTLY what I want.
Mainly listen to Hip Hop, Electronica, Drum & Bass, with the occasional rock (Incubus, Primus, System of a Down, etc). At the end of the day I would like this to be my only set of IEM's.

Thanks a lot guys! This is a great community
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 23
Turbine Pro Copper/Gold

May 9, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 23
Gold or MD for Hip/Hop more so than the Copper.  Coppers are more reference like and won't thump like the others.  RE0 and ER4 wont give you the quality of bass for that genre, you can cross em off straight away.  

May 9, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Well afaik, the ER4P and ER4S have very little bass. I once heard hip-hop on the radio, all I can say is that you definitely want bass 
evil_smiley.gif
 Btw that little emoticon dude is wearing his ER4S the wrong way around 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 23
@Anaxilus, what's the MD stand for? Can't find it after  quick google search
confused.gif

Anyway, how do the Turbines compare to the FX500? (after finding this site and learning about all these niche headphone companies it feels so weird to be considering a JVC or Monster phone)

@stang good eye on the smiley. I looked through the other ones and they all look ok someone better tell this little guy he's all backwards
etysmile.gif

How about the Hippo's? Would I be able to tell the difference between these and a set at 3 times the price? I'm new to this hi-fi stuff and I'd like some earphones that can grow with me as I re-rip my collection at a higher bitrate.

May 9, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 23
Man this is what I feared
Westone 3 look good but pricey, and might not fit my ears.
FX500's look good
Turbines look good
Hippo VB's look good

Got rid of some options but got a bunch of even better ones!
Looks like I might be raising my budget! lol

May 9, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 23
RE0 and Etymotics are most likely not going to be your cup of tea.  I would recommend the IE7 or IE8, or the SE530 for hip-hop.

May 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 23
Looks like, so far at least:
400$ Turbine MD<FX700, Westone 3?
300$ IE8, SE530, Turbine Gold
200$ FX500
100$ Hippo VB

The Turbine golds look good to me right now. But would there be much of a change to go up a level to say the Westone 3 or FX700? Or down a level to the FX500?

Note: The Westone 3 look TOTALLY BAD ASS!

May 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 23
 Please describe the bass signature you like thick or crisp, quick or slow and if the bass quantity, quality and signature is more important then turbine is bassheavy but it's bass is crisp, detailed, deep and quick, it's good for electronica and serve all other genres well like hip hop/rap, pop, r&b. UE 5EB has thick and heavy bass than turbine it's great for hip hop/rap and it's bass is little slower than Turbine. If you like ATH-M50 bass then you may like ATH-CKS70 bass even more because it has solid deep, punchy bass and now CKS90(it's higher end than CKS70)available with more solid bass and more details in mids and highs.. BTW you can find decent and solid bass heavy IEMs under your $200(much more detailed than M50) budget.

May 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 23
Mids to me aren't very important, but I don't want them to sound muddy at all. Highs would be nice and I would prefer good highs over mids any day.

Admittedly I know very little about sound signature (being new to this). All I know is that I would like the bass to go down very low and be fairly strong the whole way. I'm not really sure what things like "thick, crisp, quick, or slow" mean
confused_face(1).gif
. So a reference would be very nice if it could get me closer to what i am looking for. Thank you very much.

May 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 23
Turbine Pro Copper =P
Except their bass doesn't reach too far down, so maybe the Gold version or Miles Davis Tribute version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back