IEM for Heavy Metal, Rock and Pop for $250 or less
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

IIMaxII

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an iem that has clear sparkly treble, nice mids, and a punchy bass. I want it to have good instrument separation and sound really good and have good build quality, with low microphonics. I'm upgrading from the Etymotic HF5's and they were wonderful for the music I like. I know I'm asking for a bit much but if an iem like this exists please make suggestions.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 16
The ER4P/S, CK10, UM3x, FX700 willbe good upgrade....

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 16
Yamaha EPH-100SL, Yes an odd brand around here but maybe you'd be as shocked as I was. $150 around the interwebs.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 16
Earsonics SM3 is awesome if you would stretch your budget a bit or buy used.

Unlike other users, I wouldn't recommend the ER4P, it will sound thin with metal.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Yamaha EPH-100SL, Yes an odd brand around here but maybe you'd be as shocked as I was. $150 around the interwebs.

I had these and HF5s; I sent them back to the store. Ymmv vary, but I found them less exciting than the HF5s (which I'm not wild about but are ok.) My subjective judgement is that they could give very fast transient sounds - like say snare drum hits - the sharpness they needed, which is essential for rock.

The absolute Rock God headphone imo is the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii - it does exactly what the Yamahas couldn't do and lets aggressive music sound aggressive and exciting. No, it's not an IEM - but is a portable headphone and has IEM like isolation. They're also fun because they're the black sheep of the Sennheiser family - their other "serious" phones are tilted towards classical.

The 25s remind me of the other problem I had with the Yamahas: they were very heavy little lumps of metal on *very* spindly non-repairable cables and so felt likely to be destroyed. (The 25s are super tough and everything is replaceable.)

In fact the 25s sound so good for rock that I think I'll ask if anyone knows of IEMs that sound like them...

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Why wouldn't it be enough?

Because they're often considered pretty much the HF5s but slightly better:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452289/etymotic-er-4p-vs-hf5-opinions

One poster commented that the HF5s were 95% of the ER-4P without the microphonics problems.

...and if you're looking for a great rock sound, that probably isn't going to do it for you. Don't the ER4p and HF5 even the same driver? I'd really have to see evidence of a serious difference here! Not to mention a radical change in personality, given what the OP wants.

My bet is that JVCs might be good to look at - the cheaper pairs I've had have been very rock oriented - they have the tight punchy bass that the Etys don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back