IEM for habitual Headphone/Earphone Destroyer?
May 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

airsofter1337

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, new to this forum
biggrin.gif
. I've been looking around IEM's for a while, but the greatest concern for me is that I am quite careless/rough with my earbuds, and most of them last less than 6 months. That being said, I have a desire to delve into the realm of IEM, but I need an IEM that can resist being caught/pulled on without being ruined...

R.I.P (Headphones/Earphones)
-3x Apple Earbuds
-1x Etymotic HF5
-1 JVC Headphone
-1 Sony Headphone
-1 Icemat audio headphone

...As you can tell by this list, I have a penchant for destorying headphones
frown.gif
. I am quite interested in the Sleek Audio series, partly because of the replaceable wires. All of the earbud failures have been due to weakened cables, resulting in loss of hearing in one side :/. (Just broke an apple one today too..lol). The Headphone failures have been due to ripped out jacks/wires snapped in half
eek.gif
. Is there any hope for a IEM to stand someone who enjoys his music a little too much?
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

airsofter1337

May 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 11
I'd give my vote to the Panasonic HJE900. Detachable cables, and cubic zirconium construction is literally rock solid. I actually dropped these on concrete once and someone jogging stepped right on them and they were fine. The cable might die eventually, as with most IEMs(though it is certainly thick and well constructed, best I've seen on an IEM yet), but you can replace them with sleek audio cables.

May 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 11
One thing I've learnt after repeatedly destroying my headphone wires: try wearing the headphone cable under your shirt. It'll be much less likely to catch on to something, and reduces microphonics to boot
biggrin.gif
This method has actually allowed me to consider buying expensive IEM's, because I had gone through so many others previously.

May 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Another vote for the HJE900 - excellent build quality and sound quality/price.
They're my favorite IEM for the moment and take quite a beating daily.

You can find them used under 100$ (I've paid 80 for mine).

May 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, some of the SuperFi models, Etymotic ER-4, Sennheiser IE8, Shure SE425 and SE535, and perhaps a few others in addition to those already mentioned, all have detachable/user replaceable cables. It's a shame this "feature" is restricted to the top of the line models (usually) - it's not like the mid level models are exactly cheap either at $100+ USD. Happy hunting!

Also, I do this as well:
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've learnt after repeatedly destroying my headphone wires: try wearing the headphone cable under your shirt. It'll be much less likely to catch on to something, and reduces microphonics to boot
biggrin.gif
This method has actually allowed me to consider buying expensive IEM's, because I had gone through so many others previously.

May 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd vote for the Panasonics. The Monster Turbine Pros also have a great lifetime and one time 'oh ****' replacement warranty.

TF10's fail
ER4's can crack
Shure cables are the worst

May 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Get a Koss, they have excellent life-time replacement warranty; they replace it again-again-and-again. All you pay is $6 shipping within US.
As to Panasonic, you can use sleek audio replacement cable with it which cost $20; but the built quality of sleek audio cable is... I haven't destroyed mine yet (I sit and walk with my mp3 player), but many active guys complained.

May 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 11
i cant imagine being able to break a pair of vmodas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back