IEM for GF's SMALL ears. I'm talking REALLY small.
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
My GF tried out my UM2's yesterday, and liked them so now I'm thinking about getting her a set. Although they fit her, they look really funny and she could really make do with a smaller IEM. They seal fine, but that's because her ear canal is so small and any tip would give her a good seal without the IEM being fully inserted. So it makes me wonder if the IEM is even deep enough for her. But she said it sounds "full"....so I'm just going with it.

Here's a pic of my ear with UM2 installed:

DSC02043.JPG

Now, I have small ears and those fit JUST RIGHT. Her ears are even smaller. If you can, imagine the body sticking out rather than being flush. So imagine trying to stick your IEMs in your 5 year old kids ear. It probably doesn't fit good.

What IEM should I get her? She likes the sound sig of the UM2's as compared to the moded KSC75's she was using. But I wanna get her something that fits in her ear better. Are my only options the IEMs like Shures and Etys with the tri flanges? She does want bass too
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 17
Bah...she's not taking custom tips out for jogging, lol.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 17
The Tri-flanges are very tricky to fit in IMO, foamies would be better I belive (at least it's better in the bass area for me than the tri-flanges) since you can compress them yourself. Custom tips would probably be the best though.

EDIT: lol, posted at the same time, never mind the custom tips then, although it would probably be best for the purpose of fit.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 17
oh man i hate tri-flanges, i recently obtained a pair of Harman Kardon EP710's and you have to seat them VERY deep, and its quite graphic with the earwax when you remove them.

i would suggest a pair of Sennheiser CX300's. you can seriously score a pair on ebay for like 15 dollars if you can make sure that they are genuine. they retail in at around 70 dollars but i got REALLY lucky and i compared them with some that i borrowed from fry's electronics.

the asymmetrical cord might be a hindrance but they compare to the shure E2C's and they deliver quite surprising bass out of a sub 100 dollar IEM.

as for the tips, the smallest ones you could probably fit into a hamsters ears.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 17
Triflanges are big. Much bigger than comply tips or Shure medium tips. If the UM2's driver body is to big to fit inside her ear lobes, you might want to try an IEM that goes straight in like im716 or Shure E3c. I'm not sure how the other Shure's fit. Stay away from the UEs. The nozzle is probably too big for her ear. If the UM2's body fits in hear ear, you may want to try a Shure fit kit or small Shure black foam tips.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 17
I second looking into the small Shure black foam tips. One possible alternative IEM is the soon-to-be-released JAYS q-JAYS, whose pre-production model has been well-liked by kramer5150 in these forums. The q-JAYS have been described as smaller than the already diminutive ER6i.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 17
Here are pics of the UM2 fully inserted in her ear:

sarah%201

sarah%202

You can see, she has tiny ears....as well as her ear canal. You can see the tips fit, but the body doesn't. but according to her, she can hear everything fine, so even the amount it's inserted into her ear is fine, they body is just too big. She said the tips feel fine and are comfy, so a comparable size to the smaller tips that come with the UM2s will work. What's smaller options for some IEMs?

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 17
the d-jays look pretty small but waiting for the q-jay for sound quality would probably be better , btw the live-wires customs cost almost like a UM2 so if the reference to jogging was because of price than it's the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 17
All shures should be small and comfortable enough, just a question about price then. Haven't tested any of the Jays models, but the reviews for them have been quite good and they're small too.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 17
I am female & have very small ears. I use the shure e4c's with the small tips & they work just fine. The e3c's were the same - but the e2c's will be too big. I don't know if they will have the bass she wants or not. I don't find the e4c's to be lacking in anything, especially for use on the go. good luck!

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 17
What about the UM1? It's the same soundsig as UM2 but smaller body.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 17
plus, if she's jogging in UM1's she's not going to notice the small sound quality drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back