IEM for exercise - ~$50
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Currently I've been starting to work-out more and wanting to improve the SQ while doing so. Currently I'm using a JVC Marshmallow for the job, but it's honestly quite grating even with mods performed on it.

I need something that sounds relatively balanced with silicon tips as comply + sweat = no-no. I'd also like to avoid a BA for the purpose as sweat + constant impact is sure to not go well with them.

Current ones I'm looking at are the Head-Direct RE2 and Denon AH-C360.

I might be able to push the budget up some if it's really worth it.

I listen to a lot of electronic and metal while working out. Headphones/IEMs I'm used to: K601, AD700, TF10 (comply), Super.Fi 3 (comply).

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 6
I would not call the RE2 very balanced. I personally prefer the mildly v-shaped balance of the Meelectronics M6. I also happen to think that they are spectacular for electronica/trance for what they cost and also very well-suited for exercise. The memory wire can be annoying when fitting them but it is useful for keeping them in place (or can be removed quite easily).

However, if you are really after balance I would look at the Maximo iM-590 and the slightly pricier Soundmagic PL50. The iM-590 is rather microphonic but it is easy to wear over-the-ear and also comes with a shirt clip so it shouldn't be a problem. The PL50 is worn over-the-ear natively. The PL50 actually has what I would call "AKG mids" (since we share a similar affection for the K601) but lacks air, making it sound rather thick.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks joker,

Quick question on the M6. You mention a mild V sound signature . . . how bright is it by chance? Would it be more or less than the TF10s? If it's as much or lower then I imagine it'd be fine . . . but if it's much more than that I'd probably want to avoid it.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I really don't have a good answer for that. I don't find the M6 bright at all but I do have a rather high tolerance for pronounced treble. They have a bit of what you would call "sparkle", about as much as silicone-tipped TF10s. However, using complys on the TF10 really de-emphasizes treble in my experience. I haven't used foam tips on my TF10s since I first got them but from memory I want to say that the M6 sparkle just a bit more than the foam-tipped UEs.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't have a good answer for that. I don't find the M6 bright at all but I do have a rather high tolerance for pronounced treble. They have a bit of what you would call "sparkle", about as much as silicone-tipped TF10s. However, using complys on the TF10 really de-emphasizes treble in my experience. I haven't used foam tips on my TF10s since I first got them but from memory I want to say that the M6 sparkle just a bit more than the foam-tipped UEs.

Alright, that sounds like it should be acceptable. I'll probably place an order for them in a few days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 6
I think Meelec is still running a promotion on facebook/twitter for free CONUS shipping. Don't know how long that's supposed to last but it was mentioned around here several times in the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back