IEM for desktop use (<100€, HD600 like)
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

UnknownAX

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

for reasons I will not be able to use my HD600 (or any other headphone) for a while and need to buy a pair of IEMs. My previous experience with IEMs is mainly the KZ ED9, Xiaomi piston 3 and ROCK Zircon which were all < 20€. Now I'm looking for something significantly better at a budget of max. 100€ (preferably below but may be a bit more too if really necessary). The HD600 is what I consider a perfect headphone: balanced, natural sounding, unfatiguing and with great soundstage/imaging. While I am aware that there is no way to match the HD600 with an IEM, especially at this budget, I'd still like a similar overall sound. As said, i'm looking for:

- balanced / natural sound with good midrange
- spacious imaging / soundstage
- unfatiguing (will be used for hours at a time)
- for alternative rock, vocal based stuff and gaming

Isolation and other stuff irrelevant for desktop use don't matter much but deep-inserting dual- or triple-flange tips are a no-go as they irritate my ears. Let me know what you think comes closest to these criteria!
(For now I've been looking at the RE-400, Fidelio S1 and CX5.00

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 10
You might check out a SoundMAGIC E10. It is fairly neutral and balanced with a lovely midrange and non-fatiguing treble. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable it could work for you.
Thanks! Seems like a really interesting option + a local shop sells them for just 42€ incl. foam tips. Researching these I stumbled upon the Beyerdynamic Byron which also seem like a valid option and maybe a little more refined-sounding. I see you've tried these too (impressive list you have there!), are you able to compare the two a little?

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks! Seems like a really interesting option + a local shop sells them for just 42€ incl. foam tips. Researching these I stumbled upon the Beyerdynamic Byron which also seem like a valid option and maybe a little more refined-sounding. I see you've tried these too (impressive list you have there!), are you able to compare the two a little?
I would say the E10 is a bit more forward sounding in the mids. Depends if you like that, I guess. I like the Byron a lot, though, and it could definitely work for you. Not sure about pricing where you are.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 10
I would say the E10 is a bit more forward sounding in the mids. Depends if you like that, I guess. I like the Byron a lot, though, and it could definitely work for you. Not sure about pricing where you are.
E10 42€ and the Byron 42.6€ ie. no difference. How is the soundstage on these two? And as far-fetched as it sounds, do you think a HD600 listener would find these similar/likeable sound-signature wise?

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 10
E10 42€ and the Byron 42.6€ ie. no difference. How is the soundstage on these two? And as far-fetched as it sounds, do you think a HD600 listener would find these similar/likeable sound-signature wise?
Those are good prices. I would still say the stage is wider and taller on the HD600 than it is on the E10 or the Byron. Decent stages on both for reasonably priced IEMs, though, in my view. I listen to my HD600 all the time and I find my E10 quite enjoyable to listen to. It has been awhile since I have heard the Byron in great detail but my memory of it is that I enjoyed it quite a lot overall.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for all the information! The E50 at 58€ would be a third option which would still fit in my budget nicely. I've read they're a little flatter in response, any reason you recommend the E10 over the E50 / what sort of difference have you perceived between them?

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the information! The E50 at 58€ would be a third option which would still fit in my budget nicely. I've read they're a little flatter in response, any reason you recommend the E10 over the E50 / what sort of difference have you perceived between them?
Personally, I find the E50 to be a wee bit toward the strident end of the spectrum on top. I think some others have noticed this as well. FWIW and YMMV, of course.

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 10
If you're coming form an open-back headphone and want a good soundstage and don't care about isolation and don't like deep insertion, a good pair of earbuds might be a better choice than IEMs.

Re: the IT01, I just got a pair and they're very nice for the price, but do not have a spacious soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back